Author Topic: Rear Caliper Pistion Size? What Works?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Boost_Retard

Rear Caliper Pistion Size? What Works?
« on: January 03, 2006, 05:48:56 PM »
SO i need to get some rear calipers for the baja, 11" OD rotors, 13MM thick, cross drilled...solid.

these are the main brakes of the car..i have 1.5" twin pistion calipers on 10" vented rotors up front

considering these are the main stoping power of the car..and that it will be stopping in a hurry most of the time..what pistion size would you go with?

i wanna use outlaw calipers as they are proven to last, i have one of the first 100sets ever made on the front of my scirocco and they still kick a$$

there are MANY options for calipers..all of wich i can make fit.. i can get dual 1.38 pistions, dual 1.50" pistions and what on my rocco.. 1.72"x1.65" pistions.. my rocco stops great..

thing is, runnin a solid rotor only allows so much brake before i have rotor overheating..
those calipers work great on the rocco but thats on a 11" vented sloted and drilled rotor...

outlaw makes only one caliper that will need no work to make fit.. its the M-16 4 pistion, runs 4 1.5" pistions and is built specificly for a 13MM rotor..

all the other pistion size calipers will require me to machine the caliper halfs to narrow the caliper or to install spacers between the pads and the pistions to make it fit with the narrow rotor (compared to most vented 20mmrotors)

pretty much i want you to tell me that dual 1.5" pistions is a good choice.. :)

i dunno..damn custom crap.

Offline Hillbilly

• http://
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 08:40:01 PM »
I would say that the dual 1.5 pistons is a good choice... :) .....but hell it looks like you already know more about this shit than I ever will  :lol: ......no seriously  B)
            Bill.  

PS     Happy New Year
If any won of yew can tell me how to ewes spell cheque please let me no.....:o)

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 08:41:34 PM »
Cale, give'r dood! You need the dual 1.5's

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 09:44:55 PM »
hey man! if i was willin to run non V-Dub parts i could run damn near any caliper on the face of the earth..
but this baja is keepin it real! all VW parts..or at least VW style parts...no rotarys or MR2 brakes on this puppy!

mind you...things like calipers and the like aint VW..but at least they are adapted to VW brakes.and are not stock on any other vehicile..

dual 1.5s will be good...its just the larger offset bore size promotes even pad wear....ohh well...i think i will be M-16in it up

Cale

Offline GBRACER

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 11:55:23 PM »
If you are going to keep the vw you could drag a log to stop that should about do it!!!!

Offline Boost_Retard

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 08:27:19 AM »
hahaha tie a rope off to the cage and have a hunk o log in the back..toss her out the window and BAM!