Author Topic: Electical?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline vw_luvbug

Electical?
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:49:36 AM »
I need help!  My starter isn't working properly.  It sometimes does and sometimes doesn't turn over.  When it does it sounds kinda grinding but I know it's not the teeth or whatever cause I put in a different working starter and it's still gimped.  I had smoke come in through the vents into my car and it smelled electrical.  The lights still work great  so from what I can tell (and I really don't have much experience with this at all) is that there is a short in the wiring somewhere because when starting the car it engages and disengages over and over...or so it would seem!  I believe it is the wire that runs from the little prong on the starter to the battery but I don't know how to fix that as you can't just pull it out and replace it.  I'm in Abbotsford and if there's anyone out there who might be able to spare some time to lend me some advise or even come over and give it a go I'd be very appreciative.  I have a '62 beetle and it's my only mode of transportation for my 3 kids and I.  Please help :)  I've had the bug since May of 2004 and I'm a major newbie.  Please send me a message if you have any ideas :)  Thanks.
~vw_luvbug :wub:

Offline James Buchan

Electical?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »
SOUnds like a ground strap problem to me.

Offline Mike Scott

Electical?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 11:21:26 AM »
Or a starter bushing

Offline ryanmacneil8448

Electical?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 08:56:31 PM »
dead battery ?
sorry about my lack of grammar

Offline vw_luvbug

Electical?
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 06:27:01 PM »
k-well, I know the battery is ok...my plan is this...Tuesday when I have access to a vehicle I'm going to get some wire and try running a wire right from the starter to the battery...cause I think that particular wire has a short.  As far as the rest goes...the brush(es)? well, I put a different starter in there and I know it was good...and because it cuts in and out I'm leaning towards the screwy wire...I'll write back once I've given it a shot.  Thanks for your input :)