Author Topic: Re-ring  (Read 1165 times)

Offline josh

Re-ring
« on: July 12, 2005, 03:25:50 PM »
It's time to re-ring after my total seals didn't bite. When I built the motor I used a light weight aircraft turbine oil to put the rings in. Anyone ever heard of  assembling piston/cylinders for break in? What's the theory behind this?  Also what's the word on the stuff total seal makes- some kind of break in powder, does it help?
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline Darren

Re-ring
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 09:10:14 AM »
Replace your Total seals with a Grant or Hastings ring set, light coat of 10W-30  oil in the ring grooves and on the Barrels, install rings on to pistons per the ring instructions.  Don't forget that new rings require the barrels to be re-honed or you will not get a good break-in. ( Use the Ring Manufacture's recommendation for the Hone finish)

Offline Tom H.

• http://home.att.net/~drsowatt/index.html
Re-ring
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 09:27:46 AM »
I concur. Look for a moly filled top ring and cast 2nd as that combo seats real fast. I'm not a big fan of \"chrome\" rings or TS

Offline josh

Re-ring
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 10:00:10 AM »
Grant or Hastings got it- who sells those? Airspeed? I am plannig on giving the barrels a quick hone, they look a little glazed (only 3k on them), what grit should be used? I have access to a 3 shoe hone machine set-up.

thanks guys
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2