Author Topic: Setttle a small argument  (Read 2471 times)

Offline 70's Looker

• More than a 70's Hooker!
  • what's this for?
Setttle a small argument
« on: November 07, 2015, 03:20:02 PM »
A friend of mine is putting a new cargo floor in his bus, I say grind and clean all metal under the floor, but he plans to leave it the way the old floor came out rusty cruddy, please what would you guys do in this issue?
Zündfolge Car Club

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Setttle a small argument
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 05:01:54 PM »
I'd clean it up, not only is it hard to weld to funky rusty crap, cleaning parts under there later is so much less fun upside down with sh*t falling in your eyes, right now it won't get any easier.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Setttle a small argument
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »
it also depends on current overall condition and desired outcome.

busdaddy covered it pretty well...at the very least the metal that is to be welded should be cleaned well (wire wheeled/grinded) and prepped and weld thru primer can be used in any areas that will be lap welded together (cross members and area of cargo floor, etc). with the old floor removed everything will be exposed and it will be a great opportunity to clean, prep, prime, paint other areas (frame rails, cross members, cable guide tubes, etc). rust mort/rust inhibitor, master series primer/paint, por15, or similar products could also help preservation of these areas as well as all the new metal going in! just my $.02  ;) :cool: