Author Topic: King & Link  (Read 1531 times)

Offline Brassmonkey

King & Link
« on: March 31, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »
How do you take the king & link apart I need to change the spindles :huh:  

Offline Hansk

King & Link
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 11:24:14 PM »
First press out both king pin bushings , that gives you access to the king pin which can then be pressed out.  You will likely need a good amount  of tonnage plus a little heat on the back side of the spindle .  Once apart you may want to put in a new bushing and pin kit and the new bushings need to be reamed to size.
Big fat black fastback

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
King & Link
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2007, 12:03:20 AM »
from my own personal experience, i recommend getting a king & link pin rebuild kit. it should come with link pins & bushings, shims, and king pins & bushings.

also, keep all your old parts. there is a fiber washer that might have to be re-used.

to dissasemble, the link pins should pull out easily....then press out the link pin bushings....then press the king pin out and that will allow the spindle & carrier to become seperated. then you can press out the king pin bushings. reverse procedure to re-assemble using new parts. use some grease to lube up the bushings & pins so they go in a little easier. the kingpin bushings do need to be reamed after they are pressed in and before the kingpin gets pressed in. also, you need to measure the offset of the top & bottom torsion arms & shim your link pins accordingly. there is a shim table in the bentley manual or john muirs \"idiot guide\" .

when i built my drop spindles, i used a big hammer, deep sockets as drifts, a vise, some heat, and some brute force. a hydraulic press would be ideal, but it can be done without.

good luck.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:07:35 AM by silas »