Author Topic: Very cost-effective replacement stove and don't lose sleep about propane tank  (Read 3538 times)

Offline kinggeorge13

• Whaddya mean I can't buy more buses?
So I know I'm not alone on this.   My 1975 Westy has it's original propane tank underneath, it's original propane lines and it's original 2 burner propane stove.   None of any of that system works.   From looking at it all, I would say that none of it has been tested or updated since the day it was born.   No propane refilling place worth their certificate will put any propane into it due to it's age and obvious lack of maintenance.   I had a few options:
1. Replace the tank and possibly lines/connections/regulator.  Expensive.   
2. Just live without it.
3. Some guys have replaced the tank by rerouting the line to the stove to a new regulator and adapter that will take the common green-coloured, disposable 1lb propane tanks.   
4. Install a new butane stove that takes it's own butane cans and is 100% self-contained.   

I went for option 4 in this bus.   I've used these little butane stoves lots during blackouts.  My folks have even used them lots during blackouts and they were in their 80's so I know how easy and safe they are.   Each can will last several meals and coffee making.  Canadian Tire sells packs of 3 butane cans by Woods for $9.99.   They sell the Outbound version of this stove for $24.99.    I've seen versions of this store at some stores for $20.   Plus you don't have to worry about aging lines/connections leaking in your bus.   And?  Want to cook outdoors?  Just pick it up and take it outdoors.   Power fail at your house?  Go get your stove from your bus and bring it indoors.   Note the butane can fits in the right side behind the heat control.  The top on that side just hinges up an in goes the butane can.   Lock it down with an easy lever in the front.   I like it!   

Other bonuses?   You gain a bunch of storage space around this smaller stove as it takes far less space than the original.   Easy to clean the stove compartment as you can just lift out the stove to clean all around inside that compartment.   And It's light as heck: save a little weight from your bus, especially if you go to the trouble of removing your old propane tank from underneath as well. 

Just an option.   
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1977 Tin top camper, Cosmos
1974 Westy, Garfield
1973 Tin top camper, Bart (now thinking he's 1976)
1974 gutted Riviera, Casper
1975 Westy, Stella
1979 Super Beetle, Penelope
1967 Fastback, Green Hornet

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
I always used my three burner Coleman stove form when I was a kid and my dad took us camping. I never liked cooking in the bus so always set it up outside. Closes up and doesn't take up much room. I like having more than one burner. This picture is the same.
9 years and counting....

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
I like having more than one burner.
Then you'd have a stroke if you saw the 5 or 6 burner monster I found a few years ago, it's 3' wide and weighs a ton!
Can't say I've used that one though, the old reliable 2 burner has been doing it since Dad bought it 50 years ago, although I did switch to a propane version a couple years ago, much lighter and more compact, and no pumping, "must have coffee NOW!", it still fits under the jump seat but it's 1/2 as thick.
I too prefer to cook outside, bacon stinks up the bus and leaves a film on everything. I have boiled water for hot dogs or beverages inside when it's pissing down outside, that fogs it up pretty good as well.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline gsun

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Mine is probably 60 + years old. I took the family camping about 15 years ago and the stove generator packed it in. I thought I was done. Went to the local store and found one! They still make parts.
9 years and counting....

Offline kinggeorge13

Yep, I still have my 3 burner Coleman stove (although compared to yours mine looks like it's been through a war) and my 2 burner older one and yes, I sadly have mostly given them up for the cheaper to use and easier to use 2 burner propane stove.   But for replacement of the Westy built-in stove that fits in the same place and does not need the old propane system, the one burner butane stove I wrote about is still by far the best bang for the buck in my opinion.   $25 and you have a working stove in your stove compartment again.   

I agree with what some people believe about cooking most things inside the bus:  I don't do it.   I'll boil water for coffee or even instant noodles but I won't cook anything that fries.   That kind of cooking is done outside (on the larger Coleman stove).   

The photo below is a couple years ago but there is my 3 burner stove cooking our trout caught at Lightning Lake.   For around 12 years that stove cooked meals for 2 weeks per summer for  3 - 4 families consisting of 4 - 8 adults and some years up to 13 kids.   We were the campsite that you did not want to be next to unless you really really really liked the sounds of kids and dogs.  I do miss those days.
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1974 Westy, Garfield
1975 Westy, Stella

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
Talk to AVR about propane, I know they are certified for some processes and tank certification. Go stock!
brian waz

Offline kinggeorge13

Talk to AVR about propane, I know they are certified for some processes and tank certification. Go stock!

Go Cost-Effective!   : )
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1974 Westy, Garfield
1975 Westy, Stella

Offline bwaz

• brian waz
cost effective is staying home ;)
brian waz

Offline kinggeorge13

cost effective is staying home ;)

Well if we want to really be honest with ourselves then cost-effective for me would be to stop looking for vw's on Craigslist!   But that's just crazy talk!
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1974 Westy, Garfield
1975 Westy, Stella

Offline kinggeorge13

Plus.....if we want to be really, really, REALLY honest with ourselves, the really compelling thing about this little butane stove is that even a Beetle owner could carry it around in their hood storage.   Almost kinda like a VW bus which (and here's the honest part) we all know all Beetle owners really wish they could have....   
1975 Westy, Serenity
1975 Westy, Jack Sparrow
1979 Kombi, Pistachio
1979 Kombi, Oliver
1974 Westy, Garfield
1975 Westy, Stella