Author Topic: Generator Red Light ???  (Read 1809 times)

Offline sweet1966

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Generator Red Light ???
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:00:42 PM »
Hi everyone , happy sunny cruising to ya!  My Red light for the gen on my 1966 12 volt converted bug is on and wont go off. I have done the following, 1. New generator from CIP1  2. New Voltage Regulator and finally today a new battery, light still on. Ive done almost every test I can think of from batter voltage to generator and regulator . Cant figure out why, the brushes in gen are touching , any tips before I rip it all out again to send back for a new one? I think myself its a bad generator , Many thx in advance for any tips or hints .  Thx  Tim :character0029:

Offline Randy

• Formerly Tikitime
Re: Generator Red Light ???
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 12:29:38 AM »
Did you polarize the generator?

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »
If you disconnect the blue wire from the regulator does the light go out? Ever measured battery voltage stopped and when running?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline sweet1966

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:24:22 PM »
Hi and thanks, I did polorize the gen and the new regulator and also yes I do have  volts at the B+ on the regulator but it bounces around alot 14 -16 12 ect when runnung and 12 when not running...Thx Tim When I do disconnect the blue wire from reg the light doesnt go out, only when I disconnect the gen light wire itself from regulator....Tx.....

Offline sweet1966

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 09:32:29 PM »
I should mention , after the new generator was in it was great now red light for a day or two and at night all my light were really bright and got brighter the faster I drove, then it came on at idle and then more at slower speeds and now always on....Hmmm

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
UMMM...the blue wire is the wire that controls the light, if you can disconnect that from the regulator and the light still comes on there's a short somwhere between the reg and speedo.
The problems you describe sound alot like the regulator isn't grounded properly, if it can't sense voltage it can't "regulate", lets hope it hasn't overworked the generator to the point that it overheats and throws the solder fom the commutator, when it can't sense voltage it says "work harder slave, I want more volts!!" and the generator eventually dies from the whipping.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline sweet1966

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »
I have tested the wire to the speedo, its working correctly when unplugged and grounded it lights up, and when plugged back on to the regulator the light stays on. It is mounted to the left of the engine on the rear fire wall and is grounded to the wall with a screw and wire . Ive done so much now Im at the point I believe it is the gen that is not working , I ran out of ideas now lol. I do think the ground for the reg is good though......Thx,.....Tim

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:36:56 PM »
Got Bentley?, every charging system test you could possibly imagine is outlined in there and it could save you changing another generator needlessly, you will have to hit Princess auto or even Walmart for a low budget volt/OHM meter (which is a handy basic tool you should own anyways ;) )
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline sweet1966

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 12:20:30 AM »
Well , I took it out, returned it and it looks light is a bad gen, getting warranty and moving up to a Bosche, finally light at the end of my generator tunnel...Tx

Offline sweet1966

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 07:14:15 PM »
The end of this stream !   YAAA   , Got a new Bosche gen (stay away from CHINA made)  and presto Im not in the red light district anymore.....Tx Tim