Author Topic: Synthetic oil  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Rusty ak

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Synthetic oil
« on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »
Does any one know the pros/cons of running a standard 1.6 DP on fully synthetic oil?
If you are doing it i would like to have your views/horror stories :-)
Im finding it hard to find any reliable information.
I hear through the grape vine, using Synth oil prolongs engine life and increased mpg?? sounds great! 

Its nice to be important, Its more important to be nice!

Offline buggal

• April McNicol
  • 1972 STD Beetle project
Re: Synthetic oil
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:50:55 AM »
It can extend engine life. Runs cooler and lubricates better. Synth has uniform molecules where regular oil doesn't so it stands up better and lasts longer.

Offline buddy boy

• Marked for life
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
what ever you use , just make sure it hase  enuff zddp (1200ppm)

"only dead fish swim with the stream"

Offline Rusty ak

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
Ok, thanx, especially about the zddp, you've given me something to think about. Time for a little more home work.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »
Oil is designed and manufactured to meet certain standards and I don't think anyone can honestly say that synthetic oil specifically saved their engine.

Will you religiously change your oil as per the recommendations of your engine manufacturer as well as that of the oil brand you use? I doubt it. What will you do if your low on oil, don't have any spare synthetic on hand and can't locate any where your at?  I'm just saying it may not be worth the extra cost/hassle.

In my opinion, and I am not saying its the best, change your oil and filter regularly, check it often, don't drive the hell out of your motor and you will likely be fine. Proper cooling and good filters are important as well. Good luck on your trip!

I didn't put fresh oil in my beetle this year, and I only run it in the 1/4 mile......

Offline Rusty ak

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
Hay Chris.
Thank you, some interesting and logical points there.
The Idea was, by using synthetic i would use less fuel over the course of the journey, run a little cooler and need to change less often... possibly saving $$$ on the way. Guess that's up to me to decide now. I think i will be giving the synthetics a blast. The truth is I will probably never know unless i do it all again on standard oil. If she blows i will let you know. As far as oil changing and topping up are concerned, I will obviously do my best to see that i don't end up needing to throw in my extra virgin olive oil! Cant wait to get things moving. 

Offline neil68

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
I've been using synthetic oil in my Beetle engine for over seven years.

It started as a 1776 cc daily driver, then a 2017 cc for several years, now a 2332 cc.  I have used the same main bearings for all these engines, and they still look perfect (over 350 1/4-mile drag races, plus 12,000 miles city and highway driving).  Rod bearings have also looked fine throughout.

I think it just makes sense to use synthetic to extend the lifespan of parts that may not always available to purchase, especially NOS parts.  I do run a full-flow filter set-up, which allows me to change the oil only once per year (thus helping with the extra cost of synthetic oil).
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF2gCti3dro

Offline Bruce

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »
Mobil 1, 0W-20 is in my Mexican Beetle right now. 
Since it has hydraulic lifters, they tend to bleed down, then with thick oil, they sometimes don't pump back up right away.  This thinner oil does the trick, they always pump up fully within seconds of starting the engine.
There's one bad thing about such light oil.  They usually have less of the magical zinc compound that our cam and lifters require.  So I added a small amount of GM EOS.  In my case, I can't add too much, since any oil that gets past the rings and is burned, causes the zinc to enter the CAT.  That will kill the CAT.  This is the reason why the API has reduced the zinc content of modern oil.

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
there are synthetic oils that have huge amounts of Phosphorus and Zinc ,
i run mobil 1  ,engine runs quieter ,oil pressure pumps up way quicker when cold and i've pushed the oil temp way up and it still looks clean and shows no sighns of high temp breakdown .take a look at the chart below and look at the 3 oils i like '
the 15w-50 , the v twin 20w-50 and of course my sls favorite the 0w-50 .those levels are unbelievable .
i've run all 3 oils and would recomend any of them or mixing them .

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp