Author Topic: I Need Ghia Windshield Seals Installed  (Read 1241 times)

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
I Need Ghia Windshield Seals Installed
« on: February 14, 2005, 11:30:42 AM »
If anybody has experience installing 1969 Karmann Ghia front and rear glass seals, here's your chance to make some bucks.

In the summer of 2002 I went to do a headliner install and figured I ought to do the window seals while I was at it. I bought all new rubber from CIP and went to work. I cut the old seals out and pulled the glass, glued in a new headliner and re-did the side window seals and trim. So far so good.

The issues started when I went to re-install the front and rear glass.
I tried the rear glass first, following the instuctions in a 60's factory manual, which are well laid out and clearly illustrated. The car's a '69, but instead of putting it's original back glass in, I figured i'd install a 1970 rear window since it had a defroster grid. I just never could get it to sit right. The aluminum trim warped a little getting it out, so it'll have to be re-shaped by hand on installation.

The front glass, to make a long story short, was abandoned when I broke it. I was all pissed off, so I took the whole works down to my local Broco, told them to find me new front glass and have a go. Well, they fared no better. When the car came back, the front glass was in with the trim, but it wasn't seated correctly, and the black glass was barely in, with no trim. In short, even they couldn't do it right.

I haven't touched it since.

So what I need is someone who's done this and can do it easily to come to my place in Langley and re-install my glass. If you're sure you can do it without any problems, I'll provide whatever brand of brand new seals you want. You'll get a clean, bright heated garage to work in, all the Heineken you can drink while youre doing it, and $100.00 cash.

I'm at the point where I just wanna take the easy way out.
Any takers?
PM or e-mail me.

EDIT: Pics Added:

Rear seal, no trim, doesn't lay flat

front seal, trim incorrectly installed causing seal to bunch up

« Last Edit: March 11, 2005, 07:49:34 AM by j_c_hamilton »
Jason Hamilton

Offline Custom76Bus

• http://vw.norquaydesign.com
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 12:28:23 AM »
I had a good guy named Maurice come to my house and install my windshield for the bus. Took him no more than 10mins to get it in. I supplied the seal. Cost me 40bucks.

He does the glass for a lot of BIG BUCKS cars. I'm pretty sure he could do it and do it right. Give him a call, he works at Total Car Care in Langley. The number is 604.534.6733. Best of all, he's in langley too!

He's worth a shot unless anyone else has some ideas! Good Luck!
--Gavin
1976 Custom Westfalia... in the works.

Offline kirin

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 06:31:34 AM »
Hey JC,
I had a glass guy come an do my glass for cheap and he did a great job. Anyways if you want me to try to do a hook up p-mail me.
-Kirin
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:23:01 AM »
WTF! Theres some funky shit going on there. Let me know your schedule for this weekend and I can come by. My best days are Sat or Mon. Call me on my cell 604 868 6539. Do you still have your old window rubber? If you do you might want to put it on top of the new rubber and see if its the same.