Author Topic: GCVW'S Aug 21 st Mission raceway  (Read 7013 times)

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
GCVW'S Aug 21 st Mission raceway
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:23:14 PM »

hoping to see alot of VW's running this year
- of course we are all running in the street legal series that night.

But for those that crave some real racing thrill's,meaning you can actually compete in a real race event that night as well
there is a new alternative that will be running that same night .

its called the " BC Street Car Shoot-out "
its Bracket racing and will start after about 2 complete cycle's  of the 4 groups in the street legal series (outlaw,domestic,imort,motorcycle}
there will be a anouncement and you will bring your car down to the staging area for a quick lookover
and add S/S instead of import to your window - pay your $20 bucks ,decide on your E.T and your in .
you will keep racing in the BC Street Car Shoot-out until /or if your are eliminated and if so you just go back to the street legal event
everyone that entres gets a draw ticket for the end of year award and there is a payout of $100 and$50 for first and second place in each of the 3 classes that night
the classes are: quick 11.0 to 12.50 , super 10.0 - 10.99 and extreme 7.5 - 9.99
your car needs to have a frt seat installed and be insured or permited .no delay boxes exc
its a great series and runs 6 times a year this will be #3 and so far there has been a different winner every class every time
so if you do well you may decided to carry on with the next 3 races
for a chance to be class champ which has some real cool prises

so get tuned up and ready to race
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:45:51 AM by Geoff »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Splitty Ken

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: GCVW'S Aug 21 st Mission raceway
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 05:43:50 PM »
its not JUST STREET LEGAL is it? my Drag Bug isn't and I was hoping to run...
Don't have a plan, and nothing can go wrong...

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 07:16:29 PM »
yes its street legal .
this race series is targeted towards vehicles that are insured and at min permited.
after i talked with Richard who is the organiser of the series they do make some exceptions but its up to them
at time of inspection .
i should get a rule set or some sort of draft this week which i will post up
if you want or are interested i will pass you on his phone number and you can discuss your vehicle and see if it would be allowed
to race in this series .

myself i like it .basically 1 race a month for the season .run on the same night as a street legal so its easy to take part in .

figured i will dial the boost down and get my shift light polished up and see how consistant i can be

Dialedinp

Offline josh

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 10:45:29 AM »
Is Darren's Promod a streetcar? :67: :67:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline jim martin

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 11:38:14 AM »
Is Darren's Promod a streetcar? :67: :67:

yah nope - no full tube chassis cars allowed .
Remember its not who is the fastest ,ITS who is the most consistant and closest to there E.T without exceding it
see you in the staging lanes Josh

Dialedinp

Offline josh

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 12:52:09 PM »
We will see......I'm doing pretty good breaking parts running in garage so far :41:
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 11:18:47 AM »
This sounds like if could be fun. The tech guys know my car really well, I have brought it there on a street legal night many times. They just tell me to put a plate on it. I just took it off my truck and no f*!#£%'s were givin. See you guys there. I hope more people come out to race this year. You know who you are!

Offline neil68

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 09:27:50 AM »
I'm thinking about bringing my Beetle to Mission, but I do get concerned about some of the tech inspectors.

I race in Edmonton mostly, and have a season tech pass, so I'm good for the year.

At Rimbey, I almost failed tech this year.,as the inspector wanted to test my auto shut-off switch.  Since my Beetle is mostly stock, I don't have that item. I had to explain that it's a street car that just happens to run 8.2 seconds in the 1/8th mile.

One time at Medicine Hat the tech inspector didn't like my harness being wrapped around the RLR roll bar cross member.  Since it's powder coated, I haven't bothered adding a belt retaining loop.

Anyway, I have a stock Beetle except for RLR roll bar, 5-point harness and 2332 cc. Hopefully, they will still allow me to race at Mission since I'm mostly in the "mid 12-second" range.
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF2gCti3dro

Offline Bruce

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
You've been to Mission before, did they give you any grief? 
Bring the rule book.  If they want to ding you on something, make them show you where it is in the book.

Bring that thing down!  Bring bigger main jets, cause you know how much faster it will be......

Offline jim martin

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 01:11:44 PM »
Brian, not sure if you are mixing both events up
This is not the street legals I'm talking about but a race event held the same night called the "BC Street Car Shootout "
I will scan and post rules of event
I think it's very cool and a good chance for anyone running faster than 12.5 seconds to compete instead of just running down the track.
I'm turnning boost down and getting a real Brite shift lamp

Neal I know you want a piece of me, COME and get it

Dialedinp

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 04:08:28 PM »
Hey Jim, I thought I understood what you were saying. Maybe I had too many rum and cokes when I way typing. Anyway, I will be there so come and get some bitches!

Offline neil68

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 09:16:16 PM »
You've been to Mission before, did they give you any grief?

Two years ago, the Mission tech inspector had concerns about my Bogart front wheels, because they use a unique shoulder nut.  This is Bogart's design for their wheels and I believe meets the track rules...i.e. the stud must be threaded a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud.

However, it looked sketchy to the tech inspector,as they usually expect studs sticking out several threads past the nut.  I'll bring a pair of stock front wheels as spares, in case they ask me to change the wheels.
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph

Offline jim martin

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 10:40:42 PM »
Neal i would not worrie so much , bring the slip you have from tech in Edmonton and show them they passed it and its ok

HERE ARE THE RULES

bc street car shoot out page 1

bc street car shoot out page 2
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:50:47 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 12:47:01 AM »

Two years ago, the Mission tech inspector had concerns about my Bogart front wheels, because they use a unique shoulder nut.  This is Bogart's design for their wheels and I believe meets the track rules...i.e. the stud must be threaded a distance at least equal to the diameter of the stud.

However, it looked sketchy to the tech inspector,as they usually expect studs sticking out several threads past the nut. 
Referring to what I highlighted in italics, I don't think that is the requirement of the rule.  Anyone got a quote from the NHRA book on lug nuts?

Can you post a pic of your nuts?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 08:46:42 AM »

help spread the word! Two weeks to Go!

Offline jim martin

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 06:55:26 PM »

Can you post a pic of your nuts?

Bruce this is just wrong , get outside and get some fresh air

Neal this is what you are looking for

picture of nuts?huh
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 07:06:49 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp

Offline neil68

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 07:20:19 PM »
I bought these Bogart wheels from a guy who raced at Sac.  They came with this set of shoulder nuts, each with a stud loctited inside.  They work for me because I swap back and forth wtih stock wheels & lug nuts.

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph

Offline jim martin

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 07:40:50 PM »
neal when you read the info in this link you can see why they are questioning you ,i dont blam them
and just because some raced at another place does not make it correct
the alan bolt is not a pressed in stud and does not extend past the nut .
if the nuts were a cap nut and the alan bolts was not visable i dont think you would be questioned

i have to ask something
how much thread when the wheel is bolted to the disc is used .is it flush /extending past disc and into hub ?
as well how many threads does the alan bolt catch in the nut .
i would take it apart and check it out .
heat it up and dissasemble for piece of mind .
once apart should be a 14mm bolt make sure it has a full 14mm of thread contact .

- options even thoe real crappy
tech with other wheels and swap
lathe nut down so its flush with alan bolt after measuring everything

picture of nuts?huh

Dialedinp

Offline neil68

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »
Hi Jim,

IIRC, nine of the ten threads that are visible in the photo extend into the rotor, with one thread extending inside.  There are only nine threads on these Varga rotors.

I will take one of these apart tomorrow and inspect.  I'm confident that the number of overlapping threads inside the nut exceeds the diameter of the stud...14 mm.

Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph

Offline neil68

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2015, 06:06:03 PM »
I went to Wheel Pro's today and they had the correct shank nuts to fit my Bogart front wheels and the 14 x 1.5 studs.  These nuts have a "closed" cap, just like the picture in the link Jim posted above.  The shank nut is actually threaded with a 28 mm overlap with the stud, and the portion inside what would be the "equivalent to the nut" is more than 14 mm.  So, I'm in compliance with the rules now, I'll install those before the tech inspection.

Another racing question:  since my IDA's were jetted for 3500 ft elevation here in Calgary, what ballpark changes should I make for Mission? I can make additional changes between races, but would like a good starting point.  Here is my current jet stack:

44 mm venturies
F2 tube
60/120 idle
185 main fuel
220 air

The jetting suggestion that came with my Raptor venturies was for the main and fuel to be fairly similar (180-185 each), so I could keep the 185 main and switch to 180 or 190 air.

Thanks.
Neil
Der Kleiner Rennwagens
'68 Beetle 2332 cc
12.6 sec at 109 mph

Offline Bruce

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2015, 07:33:59 PM »
The idle jet is irrelevant to drag racing.  However, you're going to be driving it around for the weekend, right?  I suggest to put some 65s in it and do not touch the mixture screws or the throttle stop screws. It will be a bit rich, but it will run well.  Then when you go home, just put your 60s back in to regain your original tune.
An easy first guess for the main is to increase it by 5.

Offline jim martin

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 10:32:56 PM »
Neal I'm glad you have it figured out ,and if you are asked you have the correct answer.

Neal do you run a a/f gauge or have you ever done a full pull and shut down at the line
And looked at the plugs
Just wondering how close your tune is at present with those raptor vents.

Bruce is correct I would start by increasing main jet ,if it feels at all lazy shut it down and pull a plug and inspect.

Yes you can do the same by decreasing air as well I just like big mains.
My last engine combo with carbs ran square jetting and say I ran a 180/180 ,200/200 or larger for example ,end result was the same A/F
Ratio
I found the larger jet stack would back half better,possibley do to those big mains slurping all the fuel up

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 10:42:54 PM by jim martin »

Dialedinp