Author Topic: Yet Again:(  (Read 1591 times)

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

Yet Again:(
« on: November 16, 2004, 05:46:29 PM »
Hey guys, for some reason my condensor keeps getting fried, the last one i had i had in there lasted 4 days,  and the previous ones were destroyed within like 15 minutes, so i was just wondering what might be ruining my condensor, i was gonna take a multimeter to my altenater after dinner here and see how much power its putting out.

Another question i have is, what is a good oil pressure, when my car idles it ussually sits at around 40 psi, and when i drive it goes up a bit, and recently i added oil, and now the oil pressure is sitting at like 25 psi on idle, you think my gage is f'd or is your oil pressure supposed to go down after putting oil in?

thanx in advance to james and bruce, im sure they'll be answering in here, haha

Offline Bruce

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 02:56:04 AM »
Sounds like your points resistance is way off.  Using Bosch points and a Bosch cond?  There's one absolute cure, Pertronix.  Do you have a 009?

You don't have an oil temp guage do you?  Your pressure will fall off when it gets hot.  Your 40psi reading was probably when really cold one morning, and the lower reading when it was warmer. Right?  The oil level won't have any effect on pressure.

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 09:08:25 AM »
ANother thing is to correctly set your points gap. I agree with Bruce - go with a pointless ignition, the benefits over the old style of ignition far outweigh the price difference.

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 03:59:02 PM »
Cool, ya your right bruce, my engine was warm when my oil pressure was down, and yes its a 009, when i get my next payday i will by a petronix for sure.

thanx.

ohh yeah my points were set correctly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 03:59:22 PM by KOOL-AID MAN »

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 05:56:54 PM »
is there play in the dist shaft itself?
if not have you checked your coil?
best bet is hurl it in the trash and go electronic.
my old mallory dist has excessive play and you could never set the dual points on it or keep the condensor alive,15 years ago i updated it and have never[knock on wood] had a problem
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 05:59:04 PM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Cameron

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 08:32:17 AM »
I don't think you should be destroying condensors so quickly. I would suggest you double check your wiring. And measure the voltage. There's no point in putting in a Pertronix, and burning that up also.  

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!