Author Topic: Fuel Injected Fuel Pump  (Read 2257 times)

Offline BUGGER

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« on: September 27, 2004, 07:40:42 PM »
Okay, I'm hoping someone can give me an insight to not spending nearly alot of $$ for a fuel pump.
I've got a 1976 Type2 Bus FI, I've been told by a mechanic that my fuel pump needs replacing. A-- BOS-0-580-463-016 Fuel pump is how much?????!!!

Is it worth it for me to look for a used one? I think not.

Thanks,
Sam
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 03:00:16 PM by VWBusChick27 »

Matt

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 08:18:50 PM »
I think airspeed still has a couple vans alongside the shop, might be somethin in there that'll work.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 08:44:56 PM »
I think I have one. Let me know if you don't have any luck with Airspeed.  

Offline Hansk

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 10:46:41 PM »
Me too , let me know if don't have any luck with H. daddy .

And why did they think it's the fuel pump?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 10:54:14 PM by Hansk »
Big fat black fastback

Offline BUGGER

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 02:50:35 PM »
I think airspeed still has a couple vans alongside the shop, might be somethin in there that'll work.
Thanks Matt, I checked...they are not fuel injected!! :wub:  

Offline BUGGER

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »
I think I have one. Let me know if you don't have any luck with Airspeed.
No luck... how much do ya want?  I've got to wait a couple of weeks, $$ from home!
Thanks,

Sam

:wub:  

Offline BUGGER

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 02:59:01 PM »
Me too , let me know if don't have any luck with H. daddy .

And why did they think it's the fuel pump?
Thanks, just getting back to everyone as I've been swamped in schoolwork...

I've had most of my fuel injection replaced over the years except for the pump, it runs for a second, but will not continue... :D  

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2004, 03:36:07 PM »
The fuel pump I have is a wicked price **free**, I got it for free so your welcome to it if it works (I never tried it) :D  

Matt

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2004, 05:29:18 PM »
Damn H. Diddy, why you always asking so much for all your stuff??

Offline Hoosier Daddy

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 05:44:44 PM »
Someday I'll be able to finally afford that cherry 72 Square I've always wanted :D  

Offline Hansk

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2004, 04:57:15 PM »

I've had most of my fuel injection replaced over the years except for the pump, it runs for a second, but will not continue... :D
Hmmm .....sounds more like maybe a power supply problem.
I've only ever seen two bosch FI pumps stop working ,
both becuase the vehicle sat for so many years the pumps
 just seized up.  
Big fat black fastback

Offline BUGGER

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 08:12:53 AM »

I've only ever seen two bosch FI pumps stop working ,
both becuase the vehicle sat for so many years the pumps
 just seized up.
Oh no :(  so what your saying, is getting a used one that has been sitting for a while would probably mean it was seized...

If I can establish that the pump is crap I will try your FI pump Hoosier Daddy, thanks a lot!!

Last night I was able to get the old pump out.
I think what I will do is hook this one up to a power supply and see if it clicks. I'm going into vancouver today with my girlfriends to check out some stores/shopping. Were gonna stop off at my friends uncles house down at kits, he's got a workshop and says I can hook it up there....

Thank you everyone for taking the time for the insights!!! :wub:  :wub:  

Offline Hansk

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 11:23:01 AM »
It seems they either work or they don't . Not intermitant as you discribed.
That FI system supplies power to the pump in different ways depending on if your are starting it  or it's running. I believe there is also an emergency shut off in the event of an impact . So there are a few things that could be going wrong. Bently manuals cover this all very well.
Big fat black fastback

Offline Bruce

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 01:45:55 AM »
, it runs for a second, but will not continue... :D
I've had this happen to me.  Here's how the FI logic works:
When you are cranking the engine to start it, the pump gets 12V from the crank position of the ignition switch.  This builds pressure instantly and the engine starts.  Then you let go of the key and it springs back to the run position.  But the pump doesn't get its power from there.  If it did, by turning the key to the run position without starting the engine (like if you wanted to listen to the radio) the pump would be going crazy.  This is not good.
Instead, they installed a set of contact points inside the airflow meter on the engine.  This is the flapper that tells the electronics box how much air is flowing, so the electronics box can open the injectors the appropriate amount.  The separate set of contacts inside the airflow meter are for the pump.  As soon as the engine starts to run, the flapper opens, closing the contact points.  This is where the pump gets its 12V while you are driving down the road.  With this, when you stall the engine, the flapper closes because there's no air flow, disconnecting the circuit providing power to the pump, then the pump stops.
For some reason your airflow meter is not telling the black box that the contacts are closed, and the reason you can start it and it'll run for a couple of seconds is that the pressure built up while cranking is enough to keep it running for that 2-3 sec after you let go of the key.
To test the airflow meter, you have to put an ohm meter on the contact terminals and stick a screwdriver in to open the flap.  I don't have the bentley manual to tell you which terminal numbers to test.  Someone here should have it.
It could also be the harness that plugs into the air flow meter.  When this problem happened to me, the harness had rubbed right through some of the wires, breaking the cct.  Carefully inspect the whole harness from the airflow meter to the electronics box.

Offline BUGGER

Fuel Injected Fuel Pump
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2004, 04:18:31 PM »
Wow thanks Hans & Bruce Bentley!!!

The fuel pump works great.  My dad is going to round me up some carbs/linkage to switch over.
Thanks for your time guys!! :wub:  :wub:  :rockon: