Author Topic: Adjusting my new Carb  (Read 2168 times)

Offline SlowBug

Adjusting my new Carb
« on: June 09, 2010, 11:30:26 PM »
I am having some troubles with my new carb, its running perfectly except that it idles extremely high as the choke is always open.

It does not spring back when the bugs warmed up.

I have the wire currently connected to A (see photo) but there another connection on the other side of the carb (B.) where the wire can connect to - exact place as the stock carb, but when the wire is connected to that, it does not hold idle at all and motors just shuts off.

Here is a pic for reference:

Here is the carb I got:

https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-129-029-A

and it's 1200cc 63 bug

Any help is greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 11:43:29 PM by SlowBug »

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Adjusting my new Carb
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:25:29 AM »
If you mean this connection it has to get 12V when the key is on or the choke will never shut off. If the engine instantly dies when you connect it either the it's shorted internally or your wiring is weak.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

oldbugger

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:42:27 AM »
are you disconecting A to hook up B? they both need to be connected choke and idle cut off jet solenoid to the same circuit  (+) side coil
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:44:56 AM by oldbugger »

CHEECH

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »
Would it have anything to do with using a carb with 12V choke if the car is still a 6v system?

Offline SlowBug

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 08:24:49 AM »
are you disconecting A to hook up B? they both need to be connected choke and idle shit off jet solenoid to the same circuit  (+) side coil

Sorry can you just explain how they need to be both connected again?

But yes, nothing is connecting to B, only wire going to the carb is at B, and it runs fine just idles high as hell all the time.

I edited the photo as there was a reference mistake.

Would it have anything to do with using a carb with 12V choke if the car is still a 6v system?

Could that mean im screwed?

oldbugger

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:42:03 AM »
so your car is 6 volt? youcan buy a 6v choke coil https://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D129%2D191%2DH or take the 6 volt parts off your old carb some older carbs have a jet that screws in where the solenoid goes ( not electric) http://www.vw-resource.com/carb_41.html#general

Offline SlowBug

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 06:03:47 PM »
pretty positive my bug is 6v, but I just checked my old carb and it has a 12v choke coil.

Now I am extremely confused, because it ran decent before just took a long time to hold a steady idle thats why I got a new carb.

So confused.

oldbugger

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 06:39:54 PM »
try hooking A+B up splice another wire on to the one you have