Author Topic: Yellow light ?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline ray

Yellow light ?
« on: August 18, 2008, 05:52:56 PM »
Okay kinda of a dumb question............. I have a 57 bug , the yellow light seems to come on . Mostly when I'am at idle . If I rev it up it goes out . First it would flicker a tiny bit . Now it seems to be a bit stronger . Did it with or without my lights on . I've got a bosh alternator on the car . Is it a charging problem ? Battery is new . Fan belt seems tight . Car runs great and strong . Any info ? Thanks . Ray

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Yellow light ?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:15:22 PM »
you should have 2 warning lights on your speedo...1 green (oil pressure) & 1 red (charging). if you turn the key on with the engine off (something i do before every start, just as a saftey measure to confirm the lights are working), they should both light up.

i'm going to guess the yellow light you see is a faded green (oil pressure) light.

what type of oil are you using? when was the last time you changed it? at what rpm does the motor idle at? do you have any sort of oil pressure gauge (in the car or out) to measure oil pressure?

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:00:50 PM »
My oil light looks yellow too.. faded green.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 06:55:34 AM »
Temporarily remove the wire from the oil pressure sender (just below distributor) and see which light stops working.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 08:41:17 AM »
Temporarily remove the wire from the oil pressure sender (just below distributor) and see which light stops working.

Check the oil pressure sensor and see if it is leaking or loose.

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 10:51:01 AM »
lol.. I had that issues last month.. Oil light would come on.. go off.. flicker.. bright.. dim. THOUGH.. in the time I've owned my truck, I had never seen the light come on. Sooooo.. long story short.. I had no sensor, and the wire which was simply hooked to the light/ guage, was in limbo.. it had come loose and was grounding out. Taped it up, and light is out. Problem solved.
 Not saying you don't have a sensor.. but make sure it's there and hooked up first ;)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:53:07 PM »
yup....like the others have stated...it could be a faulty or leaking sensor or a problem with the wiring to it.

Offline Cameron

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:09 AM »
Hey Ray!

I'm curious. What was the outcome of this?

It's an insane world out there... and I'm proud to be part of it!

Offline ray

Got it fixed thanks
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 11:17:06 PM »
Thanks Silas thanks for the info . Yeah guess that yellow light was really a green light at one time . Anyway the wire from the oil sender on the block was loose / a bit worn too. A quick fix , it's all good . Thanks for the help . RAY