Author Topic: What Should I Budget For A Paint Job  (Read 3425 times)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
What Should I Budget For A Paint Job
« on: January 20, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »
Lets say that I get the heating channels on and do the rear clip. If I did most of the prepping, what should i expect to pay for a good (not a show quality) paint job (white or 66 original green)?

Billyisgr8

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »
I paid $280 for etching primer and whatever color I wanted in singlestage from a body shop, Everything was taped, just had to roll it in and spray primer, and topcoat.  It was to be $230, but  it was $280 because of the etching primer.

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:30:58 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline egspot

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2008, 09:56:37 PM »
WOW! I was looking a 1-2Ks, I am sooo  stupid. :rockon:  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 10:40:12 PM »
first off, i'm no paint pro and i'm not s#!tting on kevins car, but i'd be skeptical about a $280 paint job.

different strokes for different folks tho.....it all depends on what you're trying to achieve for a final look and longevity.

Billyisgr8

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 05:44:21 AM »
My paint was applied by the same guy who applies all the cars paint at this body shop in Sicamous.  Sherwin williams Ultra One Singlepstage on top of etching primer.  The deal was I do all the work and roll my car in.  all he does is spray and sand the primer coat no filling my mistakes and apply the top coat.  This is no show car, his work is good.  My 3 hour body prep job sucks, I was not fussy at all because this is a race car, dings dents scratches all over the place makes the paint job look crappy, I don't care it is a race car.   To say his paint job is bad and to be sceptical just because of his price of $280.00.  well... When a person says shop rate is x amount of dollars, and it took me x amount of hours, with x amount of paint, the price is this...great..I paid him what he wanted.  Honest and absolutly nothing wrong with his price or worksmanship. This isn't a Maaco paint shop, this is a 2 person paint shop.  Check around and go with sombody that  you feel comfortable going with.  I put no pressure on this shop, just gave them my car and said spray it, I'll pay whatever you say....I was  happy when I saw the job, and they told me how much :D .
It depends on  how much work you want the body shop to do. Roll it in and don't touch anything,  just spray, or roll it in and fix everything you did wrong in their eyes, and then spray, and still fix more areas.

The paint on the good surfaces where there are no scratches or dings, looks just like a new car paint job, no orange peel, just smooth and glossy.

But if the average car costs $800.00 to paint, and the price was $280, then buyer beware like Silas says, just check it out first.  

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 05:48:37 AM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline silas

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:56:51 PM »
well said kevin. it sounds like you got what you wanted and put alot of work into it yourself aswell. it sounds perfect for your application.

cant wait to see the new paint job and monster s/p run this summer. B)  

Offline Darren Dilley

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »
WOW! I was looking a 1-2Ks, I am sooo  stupid. :rockon:
you would be looking at that in materials alone my .02 i would budget 5k  
life without racing..is no life at all

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 09:35:17 PM »
I can set you up with the shop that painted my car last spring.  
$700 for all the body work, primer and paint.  No welding.  Drive in, drive out.  
The only problem is that it is 26

Billyisgr8

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 06:09:24 PM »
well said kevin. it sounds like you got what you wanted and put alot of work into it yourself aswell. it sounds perfect for your application.

cant wait to see the new paint job and monster s/p run this summer. B)
That is the same paint job I had on my car from 2 years ago.  You saw it already. Light robin egg blue with flames.

Kevin

Offline Darren Dilley

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 06:16:35 PM »
$700 for all the body work, primer and paint.  No welding.  Drive in, drive out.  
life without racing..is no life at all

Offline egspot

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
$700 for all the body work, primer and paint.  No welding.  Drive in, drive out. 

Offline Bruce

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 07:35:22 AM »
$700 for all the body work, primer and paint.  No welding.  Drive in, drive out. 

Offline kirin

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 03:58:01 PM »
I paid 315 bucks for a gallon of L380 turkis. Plus Primer and hardener, filler thats going to be about 1 k in materials. My paint job is going to cost be between 5500-6k on a complete respray...
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Bluebeard

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 05:27:17 PM »
I need to research paint and body work for my KG as well.

What does the 5500-6k pay for?  Is that including all supplies?  Prep work?  Show quality finish?

I'll strip the car down to a rolling shell.  I'll sand it down to reveal all  necessary body work.
As far as I know, there will be no welding needed.  Maybe just a spot weld or two.

I'll want it media blasted down to metal to remove the old finish and any surface rust.  What's this cost and who does it best?

There are a few dents to pull and one small wrinkle in the front passenger fender and inner fender well from the bumper being slightly pushed in.  

Then I'll just want a decent paint finish.  This will be a driver so super high quality finish isn't necessary.  
Just basic shiny and as rust proof as I can get.  Would etching primer and 2-3 coats of paint/clear do it?

Any rough guesses what each stage will cost?  Blasting - body work - paint.
Just general guesstimates for me to budget for from people who have done it would be awesome.  

Cheers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 05:28:34 PM by Bluebeard »

Offline egspot

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 07:00:19 PM »

Any rough guesses what each stage will cost?  Blasting - body work - paint.
Just general guesstimates for me to budget for from people who have done it would be awesome.  

That is the 64K question.

Offline Bluebeard

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 12:35:34 AM »
That is the 64K question.

You got that right.

Well first things first.  Gotta begin the disassembly.  That'll take a while.
I've never done something this big before.  20 years ago I swapped a motor in a 411 though.  Hah.

It'll be a learning experience for sure.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 08:25:35 PM »
What does the 5500-6k pay for?  Is that including all supplies?  Prep work?  Show quality finish?

At most shop's rates, that gets you 100 hrs.

The first time I painted my car, I estimated it took me 400hrs.  That included a LOT of welding, and bondo work.
The last time it was painted (16 years later), it took about 150 hrs.  This included no welding or hammer work.  Minimal bondo work.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 08:43:22 PM by Bruce »

Offline Bruce

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 08:35:33 PM »
I'll sand it down to reveal all  necessary body work.
As far as I know, there will be no welding needed.  Maybe just a spot weld or two.

I'll want it media blasted down to metal to remove the old finish and any surface rust.  What's this cost and who does it best?
If you are going to media blast it, sanding is pointless.

Figure out how much paint is on the car.  How many paint jobs does it have now?  Call up B&W Metal stripping in Coquitlam and ask them what they charge to blast the whole car.

Offline egspot

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 10:33:42 PM »
I'll sand it down to reveal all  necessary body work.
As far as I know, there will be no welding needed.  Maybe just a spot weld or two.

I'll want it media blasted down to metal to remove the old finish and any surface rust.  What's this cost and who does it best?
If you are going to media blast it, sanding is pointless.

Figure out how much paint is on the car.  How many paint jobs does it have now?  Call up B&W Metal stripping in Coquitlam and ask them what they charge to blast the whole car.

Thanks Bruce,

I assume that will be with liner removed and all glass off?

Offline silas

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »
I assume that will be with liner removed and all glass off?
for blasting?

remove everything from the item you're getting blasted. glass, rubber, cloth, plastic, etc.