Author Topic: missing pics  (Read 1872 times)

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
missing pics
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:06:07 PM »
there seem to be some pics missing from some threads in the photo gallery forum here on the asf. it seems pretty random as some threads are more affected than others?

i think the site crashed not too long ago, so maybe the loss is directly related to that?

does any moderator or anyone else have any info on this? and if there was a loss, is there any hope of retrieval or do we just chalk it up as another loss to the black hole of the internets!  :cool:

Offline Chris

• Car.
Re: missing pics
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:12:58 PM »
You are most likely correct, many things are missing including functional components of the forums. I don't expect it to get any better based on the recovery process from the webhost so it may mean some rebuilding of the forums.

Offline silas

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 05:59:54 PM »
You are most likely correct, many things are missing including functional components of the forums. I don't expect it to get any better based on the recovery process from the webhost so it may mean some rebuilding of the forums.

thanks for reply & info chris, much appreciated!

Offline silas

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 09:50:59 PM »
fyi for anyone thats interested...

so i was randomly picking through the "type IIs working in canada" thread http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=24083.0 and came to a cool conclusion...and i've been having great success restoring my pics that were lost in the asf crash!

so, i host all my vw pics on thesamba.com as i've found it to be the most reliable and easiest way to host & post pics so they are easy to share and so everyone can see them ok. now, when i look at my posts in the type IIs working in canada thread i see only text and no pics (lost in crash). if i click the "modify" button, like i would if i wanted to edit my post, the edit page will now show the link to the pic like this...http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/105355.jpg (plus it's got an img at the beginning and a /img at the end, like usual when you post pics/images)...

if i click or copy & paste that pic/img link it leads to a "error 521 webserver is down" page...

but if i remove the http://images. text at the beginning of that link, it then will show the image fine after i finish modifying it and re-post it...with the img at the beginning & the /img at the end of course...

not sure if that makes sense or not, or if anyone cares  ;D  but like i said, it's been working well for me and its fairly easy (easier than searching for the original pic) and i've allready restored pics on page 2 & 3 of that type II's working in canada thread, and i'll try & do more as time allows!!

also...not sure how it would work for others that host their pics on photobucket, here on the asf, or elsewhere...but it may be worth it to play around with it and see what happens!

cheers  :cool:

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2019, 01:52:43 PM »
This problem should be corrected now, in some cases the corruption will have destroyed the image file so it is gone. As well any weird glitches with the way the forum looked should be fixed as well.