Author Topic: Idiots at Paypal  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Bruce

Idiots at Paypal
« on: March 24, 2016, 10:55:37 AM »
Anyone who's tried to buy something recently and have it shipped to their package receiving depot in Blaine or Pt Roberts will have noticed that your US shipping address is no longer available.
I contacted Paypal and they say there is no restriction on shipping to a US address.

Here's the workaround until they fix this problem:
When you are at the "Pay for goods and services" page, go to the bottom and click on "Classic Site".
After you have entered the details, on the next page scroll down and click "Choose Shipping Address", then "Add Address".  Here you can change the country and enter your US address.

The US shipping address you previously had on your account is still there, but you cannot access it, select it, or see it.

Who else has seen this problem?

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Re: Idiots at Paypal
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:11 AM »
It's been like that for a year now. It's a pain

Offline Darren

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 11:34:48 AM »
Had no problem this morning, nothing seemed different. ordered to Point Roberts.

Offline Russ

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 12:24:10 PM »
if I am buying off a random guy on the samba or wherever I have an issue but if I am ordering from anyplace with a "check out with paypal" it always has my stored info in it.

generally rather then the work around i'll just send them the address I want it shipped to and tell them to ignore the one it defaults too

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »
Paypal is at it again!

Anyone selling stuff for $US may have noticed you're probably getting paid in $CAD mostly now.
Paypal has changed the site so that when Americans go to send, they are asked if the payment is to someone in the USA or International.  When they pick International and enter the $USD amount, Paypal will send you the amount converted $CAD at a horrible exchange rate.  A transaction I had today showed they took 2.47% more than the street venders in Vancouver.

I know some guys who sell into the US, then use those USD to buy stuff.  A double conversion will shave nearly 5%!

If you instruct your buyer to pick a US seller as the recipient, you'll get $USD.

Offline splitwindowman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 09:41:31 AM »
I've had the same problem. I advertise my stuff in US dollars and when I get paid, I get Canadian. I just completed another transaction this morning and even after telling the buyer exactly what you suggested, I still got Canadian funds in my account. I asked him what he did on his end. He replied : "it asked if I wanted to pay in US or Canadian $s...I selected US...it didn't give me an opportunity to select what country you're in." So Paypal still converted it! I'm wondering if this can be avoided if I send the buyer a Paypal invoice or a request to pay instead. The other thing is I just completed a deal with a buyer in the UK last night. I told that person the same thing. This morning I had the payment and it was in USD.

Offline staceyz

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 04:30:55 PM »
You now have to send an INVOICE through paypal. and request the funds in US, and you will receive it in US, it is a pain, but that works. No more emailing and saying to pay $100US to my paypal account at: blah blah blah... (It also works if you ask the buyer to send you the money as a "Gift", you will receive the US amount, and no fees...)

I called paypal on the phone and no one heard about it, until I spoke to the manager, who was barely informed...

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
Sending the buyer an Invoice will guarantee $USD, but it's not required.  Some of my buyers have been able to send $USD. 
Contributing to the problem may be people using their phones.  The page might look different.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:19:40 AM »
Paypal greed grows!

This is for US sellers, PP just announced that at the end of Mar they are increasing their fees.
International non-US payments arriving in your acct will now pay 4.4%, up from 3.9%.  This is on top of the 1% International Transaction fee to receive payments from another country.

If you have to do a currency conversion, they're increasing that too.  Currently they take 2.5% when they do a conversion, soon to go up to 3.0%
As said above, that is for US sellers.  I expect PP to increase the fees to us soon.

Offline Russ

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 09:09:31 AM »
i noticed that too, i am probably just going to increase the price of my pedals a few dollars.
right now i am dealing with proof of address with them, that has been incredible frustrating

Offline Dcesilo80

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 06:17:48 AM »
I came across the same issue.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 06:46:58 PM by Dcesilo80 »