Author Topic: Tireum Confuseum  (Read 1790 times)

Offline xcasper

Tireum Confuseum
« on: September 25, 2005, 07:53:48 AM »
Hello. I have  been looking at tires.  I have been told a variety of stuff from tire stores. Any comments?

-Counter guy at \"Sport Volkswagen\" in Maple Ridge.

\"We can get you RoadKing,  $89 per tire 165 R15's  - or you can use the same tire that is on the new beetle.\"  

- Counter guy, \"Steve\" - Canadian Tire... Maple Ridge... - you can use these modern tires... P205/75R15 972 \"Motomaster\"  @ $72 on sale.

-Counter guy \"Steve\" at Fountain Tire, (Firestone) Maple Ridge - \"Kelly Tire\"  165 R 15  $87.50 per tire...

-Counter guy \"Dan\" at Kal tire... Maple Ridge - house tire... made by General/Contintental 165R15 -E7-32  @ 67.97 (They charge more for installation and balancing)

-Big \"O\" tires, Maple Ridge, \"TJ\" - a generic 165R15 -$ 79.99  OR he can get me a 155-15 for $12 dollars more each.

-Les Schwab in Bellingham -Kuomo 165R15's $240 US for four installed.

Ok. does anyone have a reccommendation? Which are the best tires? Does anyone know if there is duty on tires at the border? I have also been told the tires from CIP1 are really bad. And of course that my tires are obsolete. Does anyone have a similar story? Thanks -X-

Offline Bruce

Tireum Confuseum
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005, 10:36:38 AM »
Stay away from the guy at CDN tire.  That tire won't fit on a Bug let alone a Ghia.

Tires degrade over time.  It is important to check the date codes when you buy tires so that you don't get a 2 or 3 year old tire.  You should only accept them if they are less than one year old.  Recently I read an article about the safety zealots trying to get the US DOT to pass a law that would make it illegal to drive a car anywhere in the USA on tires more than 5 years old.  There is no doubt that a 5 year old tire is inferior to a new one, but IMO that is a bit extreme.

Now, since your car is several years away from being driven, I recommend not buying tires at this time.  Wait until all the metal work, body work and paint is done before shopping for tires.  In the meantime, pay attention to the tires you see on cars at the car shows.  If the owners are there, ask them how they like them.  Since your wheels are 4.5\" wide, you won't be able to use as wide of a tire as some.  The rear edge of the rear fender is the point of first contact on a Ghia.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 10:39:38 AM by Bruce »

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Tireum Confuseum
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005, 10:59:05 AM »
165 15 should be perfect on stk rims that is what i run on my ghia!
And go to TJ from Big O great guy Sweet bus!!
Psyco at canadian tire has no clue what he is talking about!

1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline kirin

Tireum Confuseum
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005, 11:23:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of www.vulcan-tire.com I outfitted my bimmer with  brand new Falken Ziex's for 36 bucks each.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Russ

Tireum Confuseum
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 11:36:23 AM »
165 15 should be perfect on stk rims that is what i run on my ghia!
And go to TJ from Big O great guy Sweet bus!!
Psyco at canadian tire has no clue what he is talking about!
ditto
plus he is one of the few places around that can balance them for you
Russ