Author Topic: Door Hinge On 58  (Read 2958 times)

Offline mike

Door Hinge On 58
« on: July 03, 2003, 09:44:01 PM »
hey everyone!

i'm getting sick of the play i have in my doors and i'm going to embark on getting them fixed. anyone have steps on how i can go about this feat? tips, pifalls that i should be aware of?

is there anyway of telling that size pin i need with the door still on the car? i noticed there is a regular pin and also a oversized pin availible.

thanks,
mike

Offline Mr.Spicey

Door Hinge On 58
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2003, 10:19:58 PM »
If the hinge is sloppy you'll need the over-size pin kit. These usually come with a drill bit specifically for the new pin. The grief is usually in removing the old pin; if you're lucky, a hammer and punch will do it...if you have access to air tools, a bit can be made for an air chisel like a punch. Support the door partially open with a floor jack, and if the car's paint is not an issue you can use some heat. Go slow, and don't smash the pin too hard as the door can be bent if hit hard enough. Good luck.

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Door Hinge On 58
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2003, 10:20:15 PM »
Hi Mike,
I have done a few hinge pins before and have found that most need the oversize pin.
Best tool is a air hammer to push the pin up from below,The oversize pin kits come with the drill. If you buy just the pin i will have to check the drill size.
If you need any of these parts you can contact us at the shop 604-881-2233

Sometimes these can be a real pain, just take your time and it should come out clean.
Geoff.

Offline mike

Door Hinge On 58
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2003, 11:23:17 PM »
so this can be done with the door still on the car eh? hrmm.. would it be any easier if i was to take it off the car?

thanks mr.spicey i do have access to air tools but not a air chisel.. :(

geoff... i'll be calling you real soon about the pins

now is it best to push the pins up, or down?

mike

Forum Master

Door Hinge On 58
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2003, 12:28:37 AM »
They need to be pushed up to remove them. ;)  :rockon:  

Offline mike

Door Hinge On 58
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 11:09:15 AM »
great!!  thanks guys. i'll get on this probably next week or so.   :D

mike