Author Topic: 1963 beetle  (Read 3054 times)

Offline beetleboy

1963 beetle
« on: March 05, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
Thought I would start a post even though I have started work on my car.  I was going to sell her, but I just can t find it in myself to sell.  It is about one quarter of the way and I m hopeing to get some feedback as well as share with everyone my experience so far.  First and foremost, I am not mechanically inclined in any shape or form....as a matter of fact, if you were to judge my mechanical expertise on a scale of 1-10...I would be a negative one thousand.  I have always wanted to learn the hows and whys of volkswagens but RL has never given me the time.  Now that I have that time, I thought I would try and learn a few things.  All of the big stuff I will get the pros to do....putting the interior, chooseing the engine...etc etc all the little stuff I thought I can tackle.  Anyways....here we go.  The new floorboards are in....suspension is gtg, and I have just put in the pop out windows

Offline beetleboy

Re: 1963 beetle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
the tint on the back windows are gone, my friends at apple auto in Nanaimo did it for cheap.  I put in new rubber and chrome moldings on the front and rear windows.  The trim I ordered came in a pack for the whole car for about seventy bucks....couldn t buy them separately, and the front trim was about 1.5 inches too short >:(.  Luckily I was able to shape an extra vert one that I had laying around.  The pop-out windows went in ok.  A wise man once said to me "aim the money gun in the appropriate direction".  IMHO, opinion only....I should have saved the money for the engine.  The pop outs are cool to have, but I think I would have been just as happy with putting the chrome molding back on.

Offline beetleboy

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:12:06 AM »
next for this week.....I m doing everything as sloooow and with as much outside advice as possible.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 12:18:41 AM »
your car looks great!!! have fun with it!!

did lanny install those wolfsburg west pans for you? perfect rosette welds every 1.5 - 2"s just like factory. i swear that guy was dieter from the wolfsburg factory in his past life. ;)

Offline beetleboy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
I change my mind....Im really likeing the pop puts...lol, interior is in, lite coat of por 15 went on until it gets a lil warmer.  than will do all the touch ups etc etc.  Next on the agenda is engine parts.....anybody have any suggestions on cost to build a 1915 mild no raceing, mostly daily driven long tofino trip type engine?

Offline beetleboy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 10:06:53 AM »

Offline buggin out

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:40:40 PM »
*BLING* :police:

Diggin thos popouts,Nothin's kooler when ur cruzin in the Blazin sun

And Lanny's got it goin'on for availability and production,Fine Workman ship
bin through 66 bus,a 66 sundial camper,two 67 beetles and now on my third 67 :)

Offline beetleboy

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 09:13:58 AM »
yeah he is the best, the plan is still to get a Kroc engine, just trying to get a better understanding is all...I have a bunch of parts laying around, I think the only way to learn here is to try.  So.....STAND BACK EVERYONE......project fill the fail bucket has started.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 10:37:20 AM by beetleboy »