Author Topic: Wide Chromies?  (Read 6495 times)

Offline aircoolednewf

Wide Chromies?
« on: December 09, 2003, 06:55:32 PM »
does annyone know where to get wide stock chrome wheels. not5.5\", but 8\" wide. or sugest something that would fit nicely under a set of 3\" wider fenders. please keep in mind that this is sorta a budget project.

ps i always try to buy from canadian companys when ever possible. thanks.

Offline celticbob

• http://www.metal-rules.com
Wide Chromies?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 08:20:10 PM »
Have you tried Cal Imports in BC??

Offline aircoolednewf

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2003, 04:41:59 PM »
ya all they got is 5.5's i had them on my last bug. not wide enough!

Offline James Buchan

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 04:49:22 PM »
You could take a stock set and have them widened then dipped.

Billyisgr8

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2003, 06:48:16 PM »
there are steel spoke cromies ( usualy used on dune buggies), they don't match the regular cromies.  come in 5-10\"  I have no idea what the offset would be though.

Kevin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2003, 06:49:20 PM by Billyisgr8 »

Offline aircoolednewf

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2003, 06:53:04 PM »
j bugs sell the stock look wide chromies, but the shipping,  exchange , and the brokerage fees could be quite expensive.

Offline Bruce

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 06:41:05 PM »
James has the right idea.  
Get some original VW wheels and have the centers cut out.  Then after chroming, get them welded to some 8\" wide bands (after they are chromed too)  You could even have them welded to some 16\" bands to make a really unique wheel that no one else on your block would have.

If you haven't bought the wider fenders, 8s will fit under the stock fenders with the right offset.  If you like this idea, I can help you to determine the exact offset required.

Russ

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2003, 10:13:38 AM »
just curious as to why you would not cut and weld them then have them chromed?
is it easier to deal with the smaller sections rather than the whole wheel?
curious
thanks russ

Offline Bruce

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2003, 01:39:56 PM »
You can't chrome a steel wheel in one piece.  The chrome will not plate in the tight gap between the center and the rim.  They have to come apart, be chromed separately, then re-assembled.

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Wide Chromies?
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2004, 07:43:55 PM »
Back in my day, people would take their steel rims to Greens Automotive in Richmond
and get them cut and welded to whatever width and offset they required.

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline aircoolednewf

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2004, 08:36:10 PM »
J-bugs sells sock wide chromies 8\" or 7\", but I can't imagine what the shipping from california to Newfoundland would be. Always the way,I find something  but its always too far away to make it affordable. shipping would be more than the wheels. ]:(  

Chris

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 01:06:04 AM »
I've looked into this a lot... Jbugs rims are a good deal (~$110 each) but the offset sucks for stock fenders (just right in your case).  

Bruce, I've got a bit of first hand experience with rims and have also read up on dozens of rims combos and have yet to find anyone who has fit an 8\" wheel under a stock fender with stock suspension.  8\" overall yes, but not bead-to-bead.  ~6.0\" backspace is the MAX on an IRS car...may require several modifications at that.

Check out these links and the links within:
http://bowwowseattle.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=57533

Offline Bruce

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 02:46:49 AM »
Chris, I've got 8x15 Fuchs under my stock steel rear fenders on my 75 std IRS Bug.  But you are right about the suspension.  The rear trailing arms on my car have been narrowed by 34mm to accomodate the offset of the Fuchs + the 8mm increase in track due to disc brake rotors.  If you were to use steel wheels on stock drums, all you'd need is ones with 36.6mm offset (10.6mm for Fuchs + 34mm - 8 =36.6).   Then they would fit stock Bug rear suspension with stock Bug rear drums.

There are a few other things you need to do  to fit the rubber with that wheel.  You need to start with 71 and later trailing arms that use single spring plates.  The outer spring plate of the early dual spring plates takes up valuable tire space.  Then you need to countersink the forward bolt hole in the tab that mounts to the spring plate for tire clearance.  The snubber stopper in the shock tower needs trimming, as does the rear body mount.

Doing all these things will allow a 225/50/15 on an 8x15 to fit.  The tires I used (Dunlop) had 8.5\" of tread on the ground.

Chris

Wide Chromies?
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2004, 12:16:41 AM »
Chris, I've got 8x15 Fuchs under my stock steel rear fenders on my 75 std IRS Bug.  But you are right about the suspension.  The rear trailing arms on my car have been narrowed by 34mm to accomodate the offset of the Fuchs + the 8mm increase in track due to disc brake rotors.  If you were to use steel wheels on stock drums, all you'd need is ones with 36.6mm offset (10.6mm for Fuchs + 34mm - 8 =36.6).   Then they would fit stock Bug rear suspension with stock Bug rear drums.

With stock trailing arms, stock brakes, stock fenders I calculate 8\" ET36.6 wheels would stick out ~1/2\" (~13mm)