Author Topic: Wide Fives no hub cap clips  (Read 2282 times)

Offline ray

Wide Fives no hub cap clips
« on: April 17, 2008, 10:08:15 PM »
 I got a set of 15 ich Beetle wide fives . For some reason they do not have hub cap clips . I've sandblasted them down to bare metal and found no holes for the clips . The rims are stamped year 65 . Can I just drill new holes and put the clips in ? I want to run the old crome dish hub caps . You need clips for them . Has anyone heard of wide fives without clips . Got the rims over seas , maybe there really rare ? :o :o :o

Offline rolls and pleats

Re: Wide Fives no hub cap clips
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »
Sounds like you have early type III wheels . They use the flat hubcaps like a 66-67 beetle so no clips needed.

Offline Mowser

• "You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help. " Calvin
Re: Wide Fives no hub cap clips
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:10:46 PM »
As rolls mentioned.  You have either early type III wheels or more likely 66/67 wheels.  Do the wheels have slots in them or are they the standard looking "smoothies"?
'59 Beetle Ragtop
'59 15 Window

Offline ray

Wide Fives
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
Yeah they are smoothies . I want to put the old cromie moon stye hub caps on . They need the cilps to snap on . It is just easy to weld or rivit the clips in . Are type 3 wheels the same as beetle . They look the same . Thanks for any info . Ray