Author Topic: loss of power  (Read 5810 times)

Offline krammit

• live life to the fullest
loss of power
« on: March 15, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »
what would cause my 1600 dual port to lose power on hills? It seems to power out going up any type of incline.
sure could use some advise!!!

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Re: loss of power
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 02:05:41 PM »
See if you can be more specific.
i.e.

When did it started?

Have you checked the timming, points, plugs, cables, valves gap?

Running hot?

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 06:58:05 PM by egspot »

Offline orangecrush

• Rob McLatchy
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:33:57 PM »
... Maybe you got some bad fuel ?...
1957 dune buggy
2002 beetle
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline KOOL-AID MAN

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »
dirty duel filter, bad coil, maybe you need a tune up, points could be out, or bad spark plugs, timing etc....

Offline krammit

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »
when i drive and begin to go up an incline it just loses its speed, it has done it as long as i've owned it (3 yrs.)I changed the motor(not a rebuild), not knowing the mileage on the first motor,but I still lose power.When driving on the highway or normal roads it seems ok.I have been reading on the web that possibly a highend fuel pump is needed.
The more info I get the better,thanks to everyone that can help me out.

Offline 85fastlane

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 06:31:36 PM »
Gravity's a bitch!
'69 VW Squareback (ratty daily)

I'm a full-time student and part-time writer. Visit my blog to see some of my work.
http://bylaneanderson.blogspot.com/

Offline egspot

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 06:50:38 PM »

i assume that the new engine went in with a new clutch, presure plate, etc.?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 10:18:56 PM »
Maybe it's just the normal slowing down a stock wimpy engine experiences when it climbs a hill.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2009, 08:49:34 PM »
Maybe it's just the normal slowing down a stock wimpy engine experiences when it climbs a hill.

hey....i resemble that remark. ;)

it all depends on the condition of the motor, the state of tune and how you drive it. my 1600dp climbs hills with ease!!

hey krammit...how big are you (yah...i said it...it's all about the power to weight ratio, right)? are you lugging the motor? how's the compression? how is the leak-down? is it firing on all cylinders? i could go on & on but we'll start there.

Offline egspot

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 10:24:26 AM »

is it firing on all cylinders?

My engine, Yes. Me ... who knows? ;D

Offline egspot

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2009, 10:31:12 AM »
a highend fuel pump is needed.

I use the stock fuel pump with dual Dellortos 36s on a 2L motor. If you are running a 1600cc with a pict 34, the stock pump is not your problem (specially up hill with the gravity)

Offline krammit

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 08:48:58 PM »
I am hoping that the loss of power was do to a faulty throttle cable.I was out driving around then my accelerarter bottomed out.I thought it broke but found it just unhooked from the pedal but noticed that it is down to one strand of wire,I'm thinkin' that I was losing the length of the cable because it was unwinding everytime I throttled thus losing acceleration at the carb.I'll let you know if anything changes.
I can only hope it is something as simple as this !

Offline silas

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 07:57:42 PM »
I am hoping that the loss of power was do to a faulty throttle cable.I was out driving around then my accelerarter bottomed out.I thought it broke but found it just unhooked from the pedal but noticed that it is down to one strand of wire,I'm thinkin' that I was losing the length of the cable because it was unwinding everytime I throttled thus losing acceleration at the carb.I'll let you know if anything changes.

sweet!

change the cable, adjust the screw on/for the stepped idle cam correctly, make sure your choke is set properly & opening fully, check for wot...and let us know how it goes!!

also, have a good look at the old cable and why it's ruined and how it was damaged. was it chafing on something causing premature wear or was it just old & worn?

Offline egspot

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 07:59:56 PM »

sweet!

change the cable, adjust the screw on/for the stepped idle cam correctly, make sure your choke is set properly & opening fully, check for wot...and let us know how it goes!!

also, have a good look at the old cable and why it's ruined and how it was damaged. was it chafing on something causing premature wear or was it just old & worn?
Vaseline or KY may prevent that. ;D

Offline krammit

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 05:33:31 PM »
well I changed the cable!! I tell you this was know easy feat.It took me about 2 1/2 han housing ours.I could get the cable up the tube but I had nothing but heartache trying to get it thru the fan housing.It would keep get jammed in between firewall and the shroud.After getting it all hooked up I noticed that the adjusting screw on the right side of the carb(the shaft that goes thru the carb to the throttle connection) hits against the alternator(generator)and prevents it from going to a full throttle position.
Has anyone ever had this problem,if so how did you fix it.The only thing I can think is to grind away part of the generator housing to give it room.

Offline egspot

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »
Now really. This is me being serious. ;D

Do you have a tube that is incerted from back to front on the housing where the cable comes out to the carb?

Your cable should be on the left side of your carb (if I am correct) and the Alternator or Generator are on the right, how does it creates the problem that you described?

Can you show a picture?

Offline silas

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 07:37:09 PM »
well I changed the cable!! I tell you this was know easy feat.It took me about 2 1/2 han housing ours.I could get the cable up the tube but I had nothing but heartache trying to get it thru the fan housing.It would keep get jammed in between firewall and the shroud.After getting it all hooked up I noticed that the adjusting screw on the right side of the carb(the shaft that goes thru the carb to the throttle connection) hits against the alternator(generator)and prevents it from going to a full throttle position.
Has anyone ever had this problem,if so how did you fix it.The only thing I can think is to grind away part of the generator housing to give it room.

grind away.

sounds like you have an alternator and the accelerator pump linkage (on the right side of the carb when facing the engine) is hitting the body of the alt when you depress the throttle cable to go to wot. this would explain your no wot and lazy hill climbing.

i had to do the same thing with my car (34pict3 & alt). it doesnt take much grinding but it makes a world of difference.

x2 on that tube that runs through the fan shroud so the throttle cable can go through it. easier to feed it through and it'll save your cable from rubbing one out on the shroud!

good luck & keep us posted!

Offline Bruce

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 12:30:14 AM »
You have a carb that was originally designed for use with a generator.  The linkage hits the alternator as you've found.  I have heard of guys grinding clearance in the alternator.  Even if you poked a hole in the alternator, you'd be ok.  Otherwise, try to find a stock carb that originally came from an engine that had an alternator.  The pump linkage points the other way and doesn't come close to hitting.

Offline krammit

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 06:16:33 PM »
Egspot, I do have a tube but the grommet that holds it in place wore out, so it just sits in the hole loosely. As for the other problem I was told to make a spacer to lift the carb up a bit to miss the alt., that seems like alot of work if grinding is going to work.
I'll keep you guys up to "speed" on what happens after I do some grinding.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 08:26:52 PM »
Some spacers raise the carb so high that you can't open the decklid all the way.  The decklid fouls against the stock air cleaner.  I have seen some guys bend the linkage over away from the alternator, but I don't like to recommend such mcguyvering.

Offline krammit

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2009, 05:03:44 PM »
well,I went and ground out a section of the alt.to fix the throttle problem but to do this i had to take off the carb.When i put the carb back on it wouldn't run so after finding a loose wire I got it to run.After driving about 2 blocks it sputtered and died.I had to jump start it because I had no juice in the battery(sitting all winter).Well after walking back to get my truck I couldn't get the frickin' car to start to save my life.My neighbour helped me push it back to my house,so I took the carb off again to see if everything was good and it looked ok.I didn't do anything to the carb(no adjusting),all the wires are connected,there is lots of fuel but it just won't start.Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Offline egspot

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2009, 05:13:19 PM »
Leak?

NEW GASKET?

What else did you touched?

Where are you?

Offline krammit

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2009, 05:35:02 PM »
I've got no leaking and I didn't touch anything else.I didn't put on a new gasket because it didn't tear or anything.what I did pretty basic, all the the leads are on tight.I just don't get why it won't run,very frustrating >:(

Offline egspot

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2009, 07:30:43 PM »
go back to basics.

points,rotor ,spark plugs, ,cables, timming, fuel, etc.

if they are all right and you have fuel going down the manifold. it should fire up.

Offline krammit

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 10:38:13 PM »
Egspot, you wanna hear something stupid!!!!
when I was doing the grinding,I was yakking with my buddy next door.  I remembered after I had drove the car a couple of blocks and all this heartache started. I don't remember taking out the small piece of scott towel I had put in the manifold to prevent grindings going in the motor.I have a bad feeling that the paper may have been sucked down to the heads,hopefully not pass the valves.I haven't had a chance to take the manifold off yet(due to the weather)but this will my be my first look.I'll keep you informed.
You don't know how dumb I feel :-[

Offline egspot

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2009, 06:11:15 AM »
Egspot, you wanna hear something stupid!!!!
when I was doing the grinding,I was yakking with my buddy next door.  I remembered after I had drove the car a couple of blocks and all this heartache started. I don't remember taking out the small piece of scott towel I had put in the manifold to prevent grindings going in the motor.I have a bad feeling that the paper may have been sucked down to the heads,hopefully not pass the valves.I haven't had a chance to take the manifold off yet(due to the weather)but this will my be my first look.I'll keep you informed.
You don't know how dumb I feel :-[

That is not dumb. It is be frustrating.

FOCUS MAN. ???

At least you don't have chunks of metal being pounded between the valves and the seats.. ;D

Offline krammit

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
well, I took apart the manifold to check for paper and found none.So after putting it all back together I thought that I would give it another another go.NO such luck,so I thought about it and wondered what would be making my life so miserable.I went back to basics like you said and found that the coil wasn't giving a spark.I have a new coil now, just waiting for good weather to put it in.I didn't think that a coil could stop so quickly but apperently they do.I'll let you know how it goes.   

Offline silas

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
I went back to basics like you said and found that the coil wasn't giving a spark.I have a new coil now, just waiting for good weather to put it in.I didn't think that a coil could stop so quickly but apperently they do.I'll let you know how it goes.   

before you replace the coil, are you totally totally for sure for sure that you have power at the + terminal on the coil? and the little green wire from the distributor (which is ultimately attached to the points in the distributor) is attached to the - terminal on the coil? and you're positive that the points in the distributor are fully seated (flush & screwed down) and fully opening & fully closing? 

Offline krammit

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 05:45:31 PM »
I changed the coil and I still don't have any spark,I do have power going into the coil though.The next thing to try will be the coil wire.I just don't get how I could drive 2 or 3 blocks and then all of a sudden have no power from the coil.I'm no mechanic but it just seems weird.
Can a coil wire just stop working?
I'll let you know if the coil wire helps, if not I don't know where to go from there.Maybe a few suggestions could help.
Later!!!

Offline egspot

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 06:52:25 PM »
I changed the coil and I still don't have any spark,I do have power going into the coil though.The next thing to try will be the coil wire.I just don't get how I could drive 2 or 3 blocks and then all of a sudden have no power from the coil.I'm no mechanic but it just seems weird.
Can a coil wire just stop working?
I'll let you know if the coil wire helps, if not I don't know where to go from there.Maybe a few suggestions could help.
Later!!!

if it rean a bit, I would think your coil is OK.

Lets start with a step by step of what you removed and put back.....

If you removed the distributor, cap, cables, etc., you have to check if you put them back correct. You could have a burned wire or, not having contact between cap and rotor...etc

There are so many variables and unless you can explaine what you did or make a check list it could be one of many simple things.