Author Topic: Building a trail beater  (Read 4501 times)

Offline shortseurocustom

• http://
Building a trail beater
« on: January 01, 2011, 01:35:03 PM »
I have no interest in making every VW nice. Some just ask to be FUNctional. Fitted a small nut bus trans for a rear lift, cut and turned the front beam just shy of a 1/4 inch, added 7.0-15LT bias tires all for a massive lift without cutting ANY areas! 13" of ground clearance... Still building new rear shock mounts before installing an engine. I can't wait to climb some hills! This is a 68 so the swing axle rear end parts fit right up, make for special mounting brackets for the bug trailing arms to attach to the bus axles - and making heim joint linkages to attach to the rgb's so they don't twist right off on the go.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk280/vintagevulture/PA160605800x600.jpg

If you want it bad, you'll get it bad- The worse you want it the worse it will be!

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Building a trail beater
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 10:42:24 PM »

f-n 'eh!!!

that thing is bad ass. i've bullshitted with friends about how cool it would be to build a class 11-ish car to roll through the trails and off road and maybe even daily through-out the winter. i love it!

great work ryan!! :cool:

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »
Thats pretty cool. I like it.
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline rustybus

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 10:11:41 AM »
Love it !!!!!!!!

Offline el_flechador

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 08:57:36 PM »
Seen it in person and its even better in real life, i'm sure it wont be the only one was it starts to get around.

Billyisgr8

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:13 PM »
This is awsome...What I have learned from being in the bush a ton with quads, and dune buggies, it is all about the ground clearance.  Over rocks, logs, through mud holes, tires don't mean as much as the clearance.  There is one quad I ride with with almost bald tires, but 16 " of clearance from a lift and large tires, he goes where the rest of us can hardly get to with 12" of clearance and knobby tires, he just puts through and hardly ever gets stuck.

Kevin