Author Topic: tuning problems  (Read 2185 times)

Offline tizzy

tuning problems
« on: May 06, 2010, 08:15:24 AM »
Was given a 1914cc with scat c-2s cam. Don't know much more than this about engine. Trying to run the stock 34pict3 for now but engine seems to be getting to much fuel. Loads up at idle and cleans up around 1400 rpm. cant get engine to idle down as i need to keep timing set up to keep idle speed up to prevent loading up. Running electric fuel pump with reg set at approx. 3psi. carb is brand new. tore it down but noticed no problems. Engine is a new long block from Carl's in Mesa AZ. Its been 30 years since i tinkered on my 63. A little rusty now. Any ideas would be a big help.

Offline Bruce

Re: tuning problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 04:27:55 PM »
Likely that pump is pushing way too much fuel.  Put a stock pump on it.

Offline Darren

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:17:28 AM »
That carb is way too small for that motor, Another reason for all the fuel at low RPM is the bigger CC enginge is creating a much larger vacuum signal at the carb ( air speed is much higher) and it is probably sucking too much fuel.
( I agree with putting a stock pump on as well) and double checking the fuel pressure.

Offline tizzy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:43:32 AM »
Thanks for the info. The fuel pump is a low press (3psi electric) with low press regulator. will try to set press down some and then give stocker a try. I had the feeling that too much airflow may bethe problem with this size engine as i cant get close to the stock settings but was hoping to use it for break in on this engine. Any thoughts on a nice dual carb setup with decent mileage. Also something trouble free. I think my daughter may get my 76 SB convert. for the summer.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:39:03 AM »
What are the heads?

40 DRLAs.

Offline tizzy

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 10:05:17 PM »
Heads have 040 101 375 2 and a large 57 in casting under valve cover. hope that helps. is this a stock head?                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Is the DRLA similar to an IDF   Man im out of touch.  Sorry.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 12:15:27 AM »
What size are the valves?  Port work?

DRLA = Dellorto  =  better than Weber IDF