Author Topic: power pully  (Read 2161 times)

Offline stu817

power pully
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:27:22 AM »
I have a power pully on my 1776 and was wondering if I shoud be useing this on the street .
I was just crusing the forum sites and came across a few concerns about cooling and alt speed
the sugestions on the forum I read stated that if you use one you should have a big oil cooler or only drag racing  I am just running the stock oil cooler and have not noticed any problems but just put the engine togeather this winter and it is cold here just dont want any prob this summer

Thanks

Offline notchback

Re: power pully
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 02:59:20 PM »
I wouldnt run a power pulley on the street with a stock fan and alternator set up. It slows the fan down to much for cooling. Its ok if you have a porsche fan cooling system or for drag only applications. Stick with a stock size pulley and it will cool properly
Bruce McCrindle
AIRCOOLED WERKS

New phone number above

Using nitrous is like having sex with a hot chick with an STD, you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:57:30 PM »
Go ahead, there's no harm this time of year.

On the right is the typical power pulley.  The smaller one is called a dry sump power pulley because it's so small, a dry sump multi-stage oil pump can stick out beyond it.  Obviously, the dry sump pulley slows the fan even more than the power pulley on the right.

The dry sump pulley is what I am using right now.  Even with that, my engine is OVERCOOLED.

Been doing this for years.  Once the daytime temps get above 15

Offline owdlvr

• Dave Hord
    • Classic Car Adventures
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 12:47:16 AM »
What's the diameter of the stock pulley?

Don't think any of the engines I've stripped have had one!

-Dave
--
'71 Type 1 - Rally Car Project
'75 Type 1 - Heirloom
'95 F150 - Unfortunate daily driver...

Offline stu817

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 11:47:17 PM »
thank you for the info on this subject I thnk I will stick with the power pully for now and just keep an eye on the head temp I will change it for our summer
how small is the dry sump pully it looks the same size as the one on the alt?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 11:39:35 PM »
how small is the dry sump pully it looks the same size as the one on the alt?
Your eye does not deceive you.  It is almost exactly the same as the top pulley.