Author Topic: Grrrinding 1st, and reverse  (Read 2976 times)

Offline hugecalves170

Grrrinding 1st, and reverse
« on: August 20, 2009, 07:28:18 AM »
Grinding putting into first and also reverse ??? If I depress the clutch before I start the car there is no problem, but once it is running , and I take it out of gear it just grinds to try and put it back into first, or reverse. New flywheel was istalled with engine rebuild 3-4 months ago. Not sure if it is the clutch dragging, or a tranny problem? Suggestions?

Thanks
Shawn
61 vert
03 jetta

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Grrrinding 1st, and reverse
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 08:17:00 AM »
Could be a few things, tried adjusting the clutch? Did you lube the pilot bearing in the gland nut when you did the clutch job?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline hugecalves170

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 08:35:40 AM »
I had engine and clutch done @ Duanes in langley. I asked him about adjusting the clutch a few weeks ago, and he said it was fully adjusted, and seemed to think it was possibly some sort of transmission problem ??? It was suggested to put it into 3rd or 4th first, but that does not work either.  I am by no means a mechanic, and I don't want to do any more damage the transmission. Cheech gave me MikeT to contact. I was just wondering if anyone else may have had this problem.
61 vert
03 jetta

CHEECH

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 08:51:06 AM »
lol... Shawn.... It was TerryH who you should get ahold of.  He does QUALITY work.

Offline hugecalves170

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:09:36 AM »
My bad! Just looked at your PM.  Do not know why I came up with MikeT ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:14:38 AM by hugecalves170 »
61 vert
03 jetta

Offline jefftrish

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
If the clutch is fully adjusted then your cable could be stretched, not allowing the adjustment that it needs. If that is the case a temp fix would be put a washer or two in front of the wing nut adjuster.

Offline piercedvw

• aka Karmann Ghia
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 10:02:46 AM »
Terry does AWESOME work.. quick and really fair pricing :)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »

Have you checked the shif rod bushing and coupler?

Offline Bruce

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 09:12:25 PM »
If your car is dead stopped, and the clutch is all the way in, and it still grinds trying to get into reverse, it is not a transmission problem. 
The input shaft is supposed to be stopped in order to engage reverse (without a synchronizer).  If your clutch freeplay is right, the pressure plate should completely let go of the clutch disc, allowing it to stop.  If you have grinding going into reverse, the input shaft/clutch disc is still turning.

Some causes:

clutch not releasing

pilot bearing in gland nut buggered, causing the pilot bearing to drive the input shaft.

splines on the input shaft for the clutch disc are rusty and not lubed. This prevents the disc from releasing away from the flywheel

broken moorings of the clutch tube in the tunnel.  If the clutch tube is flopping around when you push the clutch, the pedal's travel isn't transmitted fully to the arm on the trans.

Offline volks14wagen

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 07:55:52 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem and my pilot bearings in gland nut were non existing when motor was re built hope thats the problem by the way do u still have terry h number thanks alot

Offline Bubba

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:34:16 PM »
I am having exactly the same problem and my pilot bearings in gland nut were non existing when motor was re built hope thats the problem by the way do u still have terry h number thanks alot

Who rebuilt your motor?
64 Beetle
86 Nissan Multi
81 Rabbit
90 Malibu Euro F3
94 H-D FXDWG

Any country that protects rights of criminals over rights of honest citizens is not worth living in.

Offline volks14wagen

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2009, 07:23:05 PM »
a guy in california named Micheal Boyer not much of a rebuild it lasted one year