Author Topic: sand rail Questions  (Read 4474 times)

Offline lildunebuggy

sand rail Questions
« on: January 13, 2014, 04:18:17 PM »
i have a long rail and was wondering if any one has good ways to hook the paneling up to the rail without to much breaking points in the frame? if you have any pics and help for me i would like to start the panels in the rail but hard to cover up the frame some one had to slave over making look good as well. any tips there too let me know side panels and hood types. the hard part for me the last 2 years was covering up the frame. thanks

Offline Chris

• Car.
Re: sand rail Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 07:49:44 PM »
Got pictures of what your working with?

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
this is the one here i was hoping for some info on what i would need to get the rear end wider it has the shorts on it now and i get a bit of rub. thinking about putting longer axels on and some info on that would help

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »
So you are looking for some ideas with respect to body panels to make the unit more all weather capable.  Is that right?  Maybe even a windshield and some wipers?

Offline Hansk

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
I assume that is an early type 1 swing short axle trans .  You will need to find 67+ long axles  and tubes , remove the trans and swap them (using your bentley manual). You will need a trans gasket kit , 2 axle boots and 2 axle seal kits and you may need additional axle spacers so that you can tighten up  your early drums .   As for mounting panels , when we built ours we welded tabs around the inside of the tubes anywhere we wanted panels.
Big fat black fastback

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
Make the panels yourself.  Not really that difficult.  Here is what it can look like.  Fully street legal.

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 06:26:59 PM »
any pics that show your ways to to hook the panels? yes it is hard to cover up a good frame up for me some one spent a lot of time I would like more pics if any one has them of the full rail and parts used to hook thanks. at this point I don't want to have a stick in my guts or any one that is riding thanks

Offline pittwagen

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2014, 07:22:38 PM »
I have a 1" square tube frame under the front hood.  It is braced side to side and to the floor.  Panels are attached with #12 sheet metal screws into the frame in the front and into the side rails elsewhere.  Some folks use pop rivets to attach the panels which is a little more permanent.  With my way if a panel gets damaged it is a little easier to remove the panel and replace it. Side panels are two piece and the front hood one piece with rolled side edges.  I made cardboard templates for the sides.

If you are concerned about frame failure due to panel mounting holes (I wasn't) then get out the mig and weld in tabs wherever you need them for side panel attachment purposes.  The windshield lower cross frame member was moved up to accommodate a stock late beetle wiper assembly.

The mirrors do offer a degree of protection from branches whacking you in the face.  I hope to attach a lexan wind deflector above and below the mirrors for some added protection but mostly for the wind when travelling at road speed.  I am also working on a detachable roof for the passenger area and a light weight square tube roof rack.

Offline lildunebuggy

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2014, 10:04:45 PM »
Hey thanks I am looking at doing some thing here soon. Just wanted to see what everyone has done and and have a good look thanks hope I can see some more

Offline bigtreads

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »
most sand rails using aluminum panels use Dzus fasteners. Search to find out what they look like. The panels on my Funco are held on with about 30 of them. They are super nice as you can effortlessly remove the panels to work on stuff.