Author Topic: Steering noise  (Read 2517 times)

Offline The_dude_abides

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Steering noise
« on: October 31, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
Hi All.
Hope someone can steer me in the right direction (pun intended). I have a 1969 Single cab, stock height. Just recently, I notice a "twang" noise when the steering wheel is fully turned to the right and then turned back to go straight. The twang noise happens when I turn the wheel back. This only happens when there is a load on the suspension, particularly on the left side front wheel. Any info would be appreciated.
I will stop, but I will not apologize.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Steering noise
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 04:23:45 PM »
Welcome!
Sadly it could be plenty of things so there is no simple answer. Start by laying beneath the bus and watching/listening as a helper turns the wheel and makes the noise, maybe you can narrow down the source. It's very likely the steering box has internal issues, but inspect all the ball joints, tir rods, swing lever and drag link for binding, play and if they are catching on something. Look at the rubber disc between the steering column and steering box as well.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline The_dude_abides

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Re: Steering noise
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:45:51 PM »
Yeah, my next step is to go over everything. I was underneath with someone turning the wheel and did a preliminary check but will look closer next time.
I will stop, but I will not apologize.