Author Topic: 78 westy fuel pump?  (Read 1608 times)

Offline bct

78 westy fuel pump?
« on: December 21, 2009, 08:46:58 PM »
finally got a 78 westy and it hasn't run for many years. i have got it turning over but no fuel. so here is my question....should i hear the electric pump running when the ign. is on?....there is a relay hanging down in my engine bay, is there a fuel pump relay?

i tested the power to the pump could someone tell me which is the hot wire, the one above or below the fuel line?

Offline Bruce

Re: 78 westy fuel pump?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 12:22:19 AM »
If you just turn the key to the run position, the pump will not come on.

Here's a test.  Crawl under your car and disconnect the small wire from the starter's solenoid.  Then turn the ignition switch to the crank position.  Now you should hear the pump.  If not, you have to find out why power isn't getting there.

Next would be to turn the key to the run position, then open up the air filter assembly and remove the element.  Stick a long screwdriver into the airflow meter to open the flap.  This should turn the pump on.

The pump gets it's power from the double relay.  It's a giant relay placed somewhere I haven't a clue on a Bus.  Maybe do a search on the gallery of the Samba for a pic.  Maybe someone here will say where it is.  It's common for the double relay to not give power to the pump.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 06:15:06 AM »
The DR (double relay) is on the left side of the fuel tank access panel, just below the resistor block. With all respect Bruce removing the solenoid trigger wire will also disable the DR for cranking as that's the wire it gets it's start signal from, disconnecting all the spade terminal wires from the starter and connecting them together off the starter would work though. Correct on depressing the flap in the AFM though, if the key is in the run position and the black wire laying along the left side of the engine (the one with the backup light fuse in it) is connected to #15 on the coil the pump should run when the flap is opened. Connect a test light or meter between the pump terminals to see if it's getting power, there's no carved in stone description of which one is +, you'll have to clean it up and look for the markings.

Whatever you do Bct please replace all your fuel lines with good metric sized FI rated hose and use the proper FI band clamps.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline bct

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 07:55:38 AM »
thanks guys i'll try the tips and see whats up....i drained all the old fuel out of the tank and it flows freely to the pump so my lines are ok for now but i have read of the persistant problems with them...

Offline bct

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »

here she is ...good dry van from kamloops...

Offline bct

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:43:08 AM »
i got the ol' girl running and driving ...yay...could anyone recomend a good fuel line kit ?

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 10:18:51 AM »
RUST NEVER SLEEPS