Author Topic: Floorpan?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline in da weeds

Floorpan?
« on: June 02, 2004, 08:44:41 PM »
hello, i have a 57 bug with  very  bad floors and channels ,i also have a n IRS pan with no floors but in good shape otherwise . i would like to use the newer pan as the bug is beyond restoration . what year pan do i buy ? what other modifications do i have to make to the pan or the body? i have the tools just not sure where to start . also what is involved in a disc brake conversion? and a narrowed beam ? adjusters : good or bad? any help would be appriciated .  :unsure:  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Floorpan?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2004, 12:38:52 AM »
hey,

allthough i'm a little confused by the wording in your post, i'll give it the old college try. hopefully someone will add to it or correct any mistakes.

ok.

1- you have a 57 bug w/ bad channels and pans. the channels can be replaced. the pans will stay w/ the chassis when/if you remove the body, and then you can replace the pans.

2- you have an irs pan w/ no floors. no problem. buy some new pan halves. i'm pretty sure repro pans are all interchangeable up to '70ish. changes may occur in the seat rail area.

3- you want to use new pans because the bug is beyond restoration? what are you going to put on your pans?

4- modifications to the pan & body. minimal. it depends on the year of each. some tweaking may be involved.

5- go directly to airspeed and buy a disk brake kit. i believe they also carry cb performance 2\" narrowed beams w/ adjusters welded in allready. you may want to buy some drop spindles while you're at it. make sure they are disk brake spindles if you're going with disk brakes.