Author Topic: If I Take The Drums Out, Do I Have To Bleed?  (Read 1737 times)

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
If I Take The Drums Out, Do I Have To Bleed?
« on: April 07, 2006, 09:03:06 PM »
I want to check my brakes noise and really should not be doing it in the parkade, but will anyway.

Is there an easier way to bleed the brakes without making a mess, and perhaps by my self?

Now I like to get my pats at AirSpeed but From where I am I can not drive it as it is.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:03:54 PM by egspot »

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 09:09:42 PM »
if you pull the drums you wont have to bleed your brakes, you only really need to bleed brakes if you open the brake lines in some fashion like to replace cylinder.

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 10:05:16 PM »

Thanks man, The last time I did this was in 1981 and I for got  a few things.

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 04:58:21 PM »
hey emilio, not sure if you're well on your way to working on the brakes but...

please use wheel blocks, jack stands and a floor jack as a backup jackstand, and give the car a good shake before you start to climb around/under there.

the 36mm nut on the back is going to be a bear to get of. you will probably want to loosen it with the car on the ground, in gear, with the e-brake on. a 1/2\" or 3/4\" drive 36mm socket & breaker bar as well as a long steel tube to slide over it will give you enough leverage to bust that bad boy free. or airspeed sells a funny little 36mm doo-dad that you hammer to get that nut off.

like 1976bus said, you dont need to bleed if you're just pulling drums.

to bleed by yourself, you need a pressure bleeder.

or grab a peice of hose and stick it in a bottle 1/4 full of brake fluid and grab the wife/girlfriend/kid/neighbour too pumppumppumphold while you crack the bleeders.

remember, bleed the wheel farthest away from the master cylinder and then work your way towards it. right rear, left rear, right front, left front, done.

i believe the front nut is 27mm.

dont forget your cotter pins when you're done.

cheers and good luck.