Author Topic: $300 68' Deluxe Bay  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Matt Davis

• http://www.mattdavisracing.com
$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« on: June 11, 2006, 11:18:49 PM »
I picked up this 68' off Craigslist for $300. At first glance it looked killer, so I bought it. Needs the usual drop treatment, and some floor replacement, the bottom of the windshield could use some love, but other than that, it's never been hit and has 95% of the parts incl the original engine.

Looking for guidence for lowering it and the replacement metal I need. Floors (front and cargo), the windshield bottom and the rest I think I can fix on my own. She'll get a 2332cc turbo, efi and liquid intercooler to haul the dogs and kids around and go drop off customers engines. Already have some black backround 15x6 alloys for it. I would also like to know my options for drilling for the 5x130 pattern. Disk, drum?? Goal is to have it ready and done 100% for the Classic next year, and stomp down a good number on Paradise's dyno. Just another excuse for needing a \"shop truck\".   :rockon: Goal is motor done by Aug, slammed and new wheels on and body and paint (L87 Pearl White) all done by Nov. Then it's just stereo and interior from that point on.

Help needed with:

-Suspension lowering (properly)
-Drilling of 5x130mm or a decent disk brake setup
-Sheetmetal replacement of front and cargo floors and under windsheild
-Parts for bay windows in general. BODY TRIM, Bumpers, seals, etc..

I've done the usual internet searches and come up kinda short so any help is REALLY appreciated!!

All that matters is the wife is ]]]  :wub:  with it, so it makes my life easy with having a newborn at home :lol:

I appreaciate all your help! Looking for a source for Bay Bus parts. Bumpers, interior pieces, BODY TRIM...etc.. or is this all a pipe dream to find?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 11:28:53 PM by Matt Davis »

Offline James Buchan

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »
Hey Matt - nice find for 300 bones!

I hear ya about the wife needing to be onboard, I had to get rid of my next project cause baby number 2 is due in January... Oh well there will be others.

A bunch of guys around here have lowered their bays and will chime in, Airspeed carries the adjusters and such. I would go with discs up front drilled to your bolt pattern.

Offline dannyboy

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:09:12 PM »
you can bolt on spindles/discs from a 71+ bus....(68 beam is a one year only...)  but if you want power brakes you will need to weld in the servo mount from the 71+ beam not all that hard to do.
as for re-drilling, its probably easier to just use adapters, usually with fuchs the backspacing works out quite well (from what ive seen). for most vans, just an adjustable beam will do, but if you want the stock ride, get some dropped spindles. for sure get some notched springplates for the rear, trust me they help alot!  beetle kybs up front and (i think) stock length kybs in the rear makes for really solid handling. and if you want to take the next step, go with front and rear swaybars, geoff has them in the porsche bus, and that thing handles like a dream!
-danny

Offline Matt Davis

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 12:33:17 AM »
Sweet! I saw those in the Speed-E pic's. Those sway bars look like a good investment. I can mill on my own springplates. How far should I notch them?

I've always been leary of adapters on wheels. I would RATHER redrill but I know the patterns might conflict with eachother. Anyone know if they will? As far as this servo you're talking about Danny (I'm a late bus idiot), where would it go, and how big is it, maybe a pic you could post. I REALLY know nothing at all of late anything VW. Newest VW I've owned prior to this was a 69 autostick (did I just openly admit that? lol). I have a Miller Syncrowave, so the welding isn't a big deal, just need to know where to do it.

Thanks Danny and all who've posted.  :rockon:

Anyone else care to chime in? Geoff?

CHEECH

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 06:24:17 AM »
I believe the servo bracket is welded to the beam, We were over at Steve-o`s place last night and cut some parts from a 71 BW, I should have taken some pics after we rolled it onto its side. Oh and Steve.....SWEET RAZOR :rockon: ... Matt you should also look into a narrowed beam as well, I guess it really depends on the look your after  :D

Offline Matt Davis

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:05:24 AM »
Yeah, being as it's going to be a test bed for engine parts and a family wagon,  I'm not sure how much I want to dump it. But I sure do want it low. With a standered 15x6 alloy, think it's worth it to have a narrowed beam?

Offline Matt Davis

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 11:23:56 AM »
I believe the servo bracket is welded to the beam, We were over at Steve-o`s place last night and cut some parts from a 71 BW, I should have taken some pics after we rolled it onto its side. Oh and Steve.....SWEET RAZOR :rockon: ... Matt you should also look into a narrowed beam as well, I guess it really depends on the look your after  :D
Would a 71 beam just bolt up?

Offline volksnut

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 02:50:18 PM »
no the bolt pattern is wider on the later beam....but if you narrow the beam and cut out the towers/beam mount you can install it with earlier bolt pattern plate

Offline Matt Davis

$300 68' Deluxe Bay
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 01:24:31 AM »
I don't think I'm going to narrow it, so it looks like I'm in the market for later spindles and disk brakes. I'll have to weld that servo bracket that everyones talking about.

Keep your eyes peeled!