Author Topic: Early To Late Shifter Coupler Question?  (Read 1740 times)

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
Early To Late Shifter Coupler Question?
« on: September 11, 2005, 02:50:50 PM »
Need a question answered. I have a tranny from a 66 beetle that I was thinking about using on my 61 chassis. I noticed that the shift coupler is a different style than the one on my 61.......Can I still use my old style coupler?? Do I need to change the hockey stick?? AM I easier to replace the hole shift arm if I want to use a new style coupler?? What do I do here???
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 04:00:50 PM »
AM I easier to replace ???
Yes.

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 04:43:59 PM »
SO I will pull the whole arm that attatches the shifter to the tranny then. That's what you're saying....thanks
J
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 06:25:51 PM »
the tranny's all have the same dimple, but the shift rod will determine what you need to run. does it have a dimple or a hole drilled through it?  dimple will mean you will run an early hole means you will have to run a late

Offline Hansk

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2005, 08:02:42 PM »
Did the 61 chassis originally have a tunel type tranny or split case? (can't remember)
Either way I'm thinking the main issue(if any ) will be the front mount.  The cars originally equiped with split case trans needed to use a bus nose cone and hockey stick or the solid adapter mount. Am I correct or is there more to it?
Big fat black fastback

Offline Bruce

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 10:19:37 PM »
The 61 was originally a tunnel type trans.  If you wanted to use the late style coupler, you can get the shift rod from a later car.