Author Topic: How Do I Drain My Gas?  (Read 1870 times)

Offline dirtydeedss

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« on: March 13, 2006, 10:44:55 AM »
i picked up a 74 westy and the gas is stale and was wondering if anybody knows how to get to the line at the tank or any other ways to get the gas out. I cant syphon it because there is something that stops the hose from going in.

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 12:17:35 PM »
Not DVKK but try pulling the line off where it comes from the bottom of the tank just above the tranny. Wear gloves and clothes you don't like because it's probably going to end up running down your sleeve and bad gas is like skunk to get out. If you have another piece of fuel line ready you can stick it on the tube and catch the evil gas in something.
Once it's stopped draining remove the nut on the bottom of the tank and the pickup tube/screen (if it has one) and let the last few liters drain from the sump.
If it's so rotten that it won't drain your'e better off to pull the tank because it's going to need boiling out at a rad shop. You can (barely)pull the tank on a pancake bus without pulling the engine if you remove the center and rear mounts and lower it with a jack. A much easier job with the engine out.
Have a look under the bed in the back and see if someones already cut an access hole for the fuel sender, many 74's have had sender issues and sometimes theres a hole near the front of the engine deck covered with duct tape. it could possibly be sucked out with an air powered vaccum through the sender hole, NOT A SHOP VAC!!, BOOM.
Flush it out with lots of methyl hydrate.
Let me know if you need the measurements for the sender hole location.
While your'e in there look at the condition of the hoses on the vent lines, they are often cracked and cause gas fumes with a full tank.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline vwboop

• Chris & Gina
How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 03:25:44 PM »
anyone locally know where to properly dispose of old gas?

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 05:26:57 PM »
I'll bet if you put it in old motor oil jugs and took it to the bottle depot they wouldn't be able to say no. There is a little used motor oil in it after all.

I've heard it makes a good weed killer too.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline blarneyman

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 06:06:11 PM »
It works great for starting small brush fires when your cleaning up dead branches ;)  
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline dirtydeedss

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 08:42:02 PM »
thanks alot for the info i got it drained and got covered in old gas and i took 2 showers and i still smell like old gas and you ask what to do with the old gass......................BOOM      big fire. :D  :D  :D  

Offline dannyboy

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 09:02:51 PM »
old gas smell is the worst!
hey geoff, brings back memories of the old orange and white van eh?
we both got the wrath (or rash :lol: ) of that one

Offline dirtydeedss

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 09:07:52 PM »
haha  the one i drained is orange and white too :P  

Offline HeliMike

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 11:36:08 PM »
How do ya make a cat go WOOF? Poor gas on it.... light a match.... WOOOF!   :rockon:

that's how ya get rid of gas

« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 11:36:37 PM by Gutterslug »
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline HeliMike

How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 04:51:16 PM »
How do ya make a cat go WOOF? Poor gas on it.... light a match.... WOOOF!   :rockon:

that's how ya get rid of gas
uuuhhhhh.... I don't remember writing this.....  :blink:  
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
How Do I Drain My Gas?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 05:29:33 PM »
Ahhh the smell of old gas.....get used to it as it will be with you for a very VERY long time.
Like Danny said, nothing beats having old gas mixed with other solent and undercoating running down your arm and pooling in your arm pit! Yummmmm! I can feel it burn!