Author Topic: Details Classic ?  (Read 8685 times)

Offline OUTKAST

Details Classic ?
« on: June 12, 2006, 04:43:16 PM »
Well come on lets hear some stories ? How wasthe feature car and  the heb recieved ?was the dyno fun shane . Pics pics pics PLEASE  :) One year I might actually get there until then you have to keep us up to date I know it had to be a blast can't wait to hear some stories  
Thanks Martin  

Offline James Buchan

Details Classic ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 04:49:12 PM »
Who cares about the Classic - The West Coast Showdown is just around the corner!!!!!

[size=8]Ok I care - how was it?[/size]

Offline surgerypending

Details Classic ?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 05:21:49 PM »
I spoke with Geoff on Sunday and he was very happy with the response he recieved on the heb. It's better he gives you all the details but expect to see it in a few mags!
Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
Details Classic ?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 07:04:51 PM »
Darren took Best Engineered car
Mike Took 1st place Vintage Type 3
I got 3rd place Super street car. I was up against Darrens biggest Comp, who took first in our class...
I was so excited to place....There were alot on brand new cars out there this year...
Darren also took fastest hp in Na on the Dyno for AC  173hp
and I took fastest hp for turbo ac 231hp@12psi

I just want to say one more thing...
Thanks to Chris and Courteney for taking the Hulk all the way down there, I would never have been able to do it...
Winning 3rd was a huge thing for me.. Taking a trophy at the Classic is awesome. and goes to show you good quality work last's a long time .. Congrats to Jimmy, Lanny,G-dog,Kroc, for all the work into this car that pulls a trophy this many years after its build....
It was such an amazing feeling....
also want to thank Jason and his Family at Paradise... This car has some NUTS!!! look out..
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:28:02 PM by Hulk »
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 07:25:42 PM »

Now this car still amazes me....

sitting at Paradise

Now I am loading the car and hear all this screaming and applauding and cheering and I look over ans see these guys... so they all got a HULK shirt... I guess you would say they are Hulkamaniacs :lol:  :lol:

This thing had a huge cool factor

Bringing home the hardware....man that felt good

Everytime you tried to get a shot of Darrens car you got this......

inside Foose shop

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:28:32 PM by Hulk »
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 07:36:59 PM »
A few more

« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 07:38:12 PM by Hulk »
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Details Classic ?
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 07:37:46 PM »
congrats on the awards guys. and that's pretty cool that you guys got top hp honours aswell. good job.

pics are slowly showing up on the net.

i understand that the grey 58 won the dkp award at nicks. it must have been a tough decision for the judges. 58 euro rag vs 55 three fold. even tho i dig 58's (especially euros w/ the semis) i would have voted for the oval. but i'm partial to ovals...and canadians.  B)

regardless, kudos to all you guys who went down and represented the great white north and brought home some american hardware.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 07:40:15 PM »
That is alot of money there :huh:

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline silas

Details Classic ?
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 08:37:33 PM »
i'm curious as to why the heb rod was parked in the freakshow? was there no volksrod camp or full custom section?

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Details Classic ?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 09:11:59 PM »

WOW!

Thanks for sharing guys.

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 09:48:53 PM »
Geoff chose to park it there.. Because teh freak show is at the front of the classic right beside the main booth

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
Details Classic ?
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2006, 09:52:23 PM »
Thursday - Irwindale was awesome. Really good racing from all sorts - fast beetles, fast high hp domestics and even a loud as hell little Mazda RX3 or something running equiv to high 10's.. Luckily we were able to say hello to Mark H, not knowing it would be last time to see him.

Friday - Nick's burgers:
I was pretty surprised at Nick's to see the 58 win also... As we all know how much effort went into Darren's car. But if he was going to be edged out by another car that 58 was sure the one... It was pretty damn nice. Little subtle features everywhere you look on that car. Hand made dimples on the decklid to clear the carbs, custome firewall to follow lines of Porsche shroud, etc, etc...
Here's a few pics of the 58 that won the DKP vote:

ALSO, key thing to note is there was a close vote between 3 cars not just the 58 and Darren's car, but our very own little Geoffry wowed the crowed so much, the hebroid was the first non cal looker to be in a 3 way tie in the first round of votes! When we got to nicks, there were crowds around Darrens car all night. You could not get a chance to take a pic with out someone or several people in the shot staring at his car... You would have been proud Darren.

Then a loud rumble from the street and up pulls a low riding turd... the heb rolls in and holy shit the crowd could not believe it. I had to move from my spot as so many people were bumping in to me trying to get a pic of the hebroid. You could see Geoff's head growing by the minute... but well deserved as evryone, including guys from magazines, high profile restorers and even guys from So Cal Speed shot were digging it. The crowd loved his car.

It was pretty awesome to be a Canuck this weekend with 4 really nice cars representing (Darren's oval, Hulkomania, Hebroid and Mike's square).

Saturday - VW Paradise
Kind of a blur from previous night, but the few times I woke up I saw people loving Darren's car and Shane's beast up on the dyno. Also some other pretty cool machines making it hard to sleep: a 470hp golf, and a 800hp Jeep! Also a pretty sad day as everyone learned of Mark H!

Sat Night - Knolwoods for end of berg cruise
Pretty melow. Good food, more cool cars showing up and tons of reporters looking for insight into Mark's crash.

Sunday - Classic
All I can say is take sun screen... can you say Lobster! Biggest turn out ever -is what I heard. The entire park was full from end to end. Rows of hebs, splits, I counted 16 manxes in a row, rows of early busses and trucks. Geoff chose to park near the freak show as I think he was invited to showcase the heb there. Also that location was in the center of the show and could not have been in a more high traffic area... I heard he had people wanting to buy the car... And I am sure he will fill in better but let's just say it is a pretty big compliment when Chip Foose's personal photographer is instructed to go find the Heb to take some pics... The swap was pretty good, scored a few goodies for the car like a split h/l rings and an early Porsche tach amoung other things. Seeing Darren's car sitting beside Randy Gates car, Lanny and Darren really raised the bar again. Looking at those two side by side you could see really how nice Darren's oval is... And Hulky was getting lots of attention every time I walked by it. Felt cool to be walking around the greatest VW show on the planet and see cars that are ripping around our Vancouver streets... good job guys.

Can't wait till next year... hopefully I will get to see what it feels like to pull into Nicks Burgers in my own ride...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 09:57:44 PM by nivag »

Offline silas

Details Classic ?
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2006, 10:15:11 PM »
great review of the weekends festivities gavin.

keep the stories and pics coming.

Offline steiner

Details Classic ?
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006, 10:17:59 PM »
That's awsome. Way to go guys! Way to represent! :rockon:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 10:19:21 PM by steiner »
1964 21 bus

Offline silas

Details Classic ?
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006, 10:28:28 PM »

as beautifull as this car is, and as much as i can appreciate the work and fabrication that it took to make that decklid, imho, they missed the mark. it just doesnt work. but that is just me.

Offline Hansk

Details Classic ?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006, 10:50:41 PM »
Wow ! sounds awesome. Congrats to everyone , specially Mike for DRIVING His car all the way down , all around town while there , take first place in class and drive it all the way back home........twice!
Big fat black fastback

Offline Mike Scott

Details Classic ?
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006, 07:35:28 AM »
Awesome stories!

Those cars are all amazing (Darren's, Hulk, Heb, and Mikey's square) and inspire me to work on my car. Great job everyone!!  

Offline Lanny

Details Classic ?
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006, 10:34:56 AM »
What a week of ups and downs! I'm stuck in Portland as the diff in the tow vehicle crapped out AGAIN. The 55 had a fantastic response all weekend. Hot VW's shot the 55 with me driving and Buddy Hale in the passenger seat, cruising around Orange. RK Smith was taking 'action' shots from the bed of the Hot VWs Nissan truck. That will be tough to beat as the best moment in my 20 plus years in the VW scene. Taking the 'Best Engineered' trophy out of 700 VWs at The Classic made my year! Darren is stoked! Watch for the car in Hot VWs this fall along with Ultra VW(UK), SuperVW(France)and Lets Play(Japan). Geoffs Roid dropped jaws wherever it went. Darrel Bakers 58...Wow! Unreal guy too. Smiles turned to tears as I rolled the 55 into Lauffers shop for the dyno pull on saturday morning and heard the news about Mark. It's all a blur..

Offline Matt Davis

• http://www.mattdavisracing.com
Details Classic ?
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006, 11:17:36 AM »
Man, I missed out.... I was looking forward to taking my own 55' and showing against Darren, but due to the baby, mama said no. So at least I got to call Darren and talk for awhile on the phone. I've watched the buildup since Darren and I became aquainted over the purchase of my 56' Pro Mod car. We've become good friends sharing about our families, cars, bikes and life and general. I'm glad I missed it now, because the only real reason I woulda gone is to hang out with Lanny and Darren and cruise around the OC with our tops pulled back.

Congrats to all who went and to the Hulkster for putting down those awesome numbers, Darren and Lanny and K-Roc for completing that masterpiece. Geoff, never met you, but I was looking forward to putting a face to the name. Gorgeous job on the Heb. I know Darryl too, REAL GOOD guy, my hats off to him too, even if I'm a little partial to my buddy Capt' Flossin's ride. And now at the end of the year, I'm putting my own 55' ex Buddy Hale car up for sale, so we may not get to do that cruise in the OC, but I'm down for towing the new car to Canada AYE and do some match races against my old diamond green car!  :rockon:

Man..... that heb... perfect lines between imagination and execution.  :wub:

You guys should be very proud of your acomplishments! Rock on!!  :rockon:  

Offline G-dog

Details Classic ?
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 02:20:01 PM »
I walked around looking at all the cars feeling proud as hell to have worked on these bitchin' rides as good or better as any cal car (better IMHO!)down there .You guys represented big time!Congrats to Darren ,Geoffy & Hulk for Beating the Yanks at their own game! ;) By the way ,thanks to all you Yanks for being so hospitable ,we were treated to great food & help everywere we went !
1967 Beetle (the only year worth considering)/Berg 5

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2006, 03:48:03 PM »
I walked around looking at all the cars feeling proud as hell to have worked on these bitchin' rides as good or better as any cal car (better IMHO!)down there .You guys represented big time!Congrats to Darren ,Geoffy & Hulk for Beating the Yanks at their own game! ;) By the way ,thanks to all you Yanks for being so hospitable ,we were treated to great food & help everywere we went !
Very true about the Yanks G-dog, and hey Gav did you see many of those rare 67's??? ;)
Thanks Matt, Maybe Mr. Flossin with give me a turn at a match race with you in the Diamond green car B)  
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Matt Davis

Details Classic ?
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2006, 05:26:23 PM »
Very true about the Yanks G-dog, and hey Gav did you see many of those rare 67's??? ;)
Thanks Matt, Maybe Mr. Flossin with give me a turn at a match race with you in the Diamond green car B)
 B)  That was the plan for me to come up and help out with the car.... ya never know!  

Offline James Buchan

Details Classic ?
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2006, 05:50:31 PM »
When you do come up Matt be ready to down large amounts of Canadian beer!

Your planning to come up for the GCVW's right?

Offline OUTKAST

Details Classic ?
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2006, 07:26:47 PM »
Thats what I wanted  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon: Way to go all of you who attended or helped out the vancouver scene is as good as anywhere and pushing the envelope . You all deserve to feel pumped , :) Maybe next year I'll make it down . Anyways glad to hear your are all back safe and sound Sorry to hear about the trouble Lanny take care and see you soon Family fishing derby this weekend soccer tournament next weekend not sure about west coast yet we will see  :( If not see you at the Great Canadian
WAY TO GO GUYS  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2006, 07:31:16 PM »
B)  That was the plan for me to come up and help out with the car.... ya never know!
well then I would be all over that... gonna have to give Mr Flossin a call...

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Matt Davis

Details Classic ?
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2006, 07:55:36 PM »
dp
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:56:43 PM by Matt Davis »

Offline Matt Davis

Details Classic ?
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2006, 07:56:30 PM »

So the hulk vs. godzilla?  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
Details Classic ?
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2006, 08:06:57 PM »
Matt, I was gonna race you in Darrens car , Your old car... I just have a little ole Pan car... that you will surely kick my ass...

:huh: seat time alone you will kick my ass

FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline Matt Davis

Details Classic ?
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2006, 08:26:16 PM »
Matt, I was gonna race you in Darrens car , Your old car... I just have a little ole Pan car... that you will surely kick my ass...

:huh: seat time alone you will kick my ass
how about we trade. I drive the hulk, you drive godzilla.

Offline James Buchan

Details Classic ?
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2006, 09:32:21 PM »
GODZILLA, HULK - DAMN IT THATS IT MY CAR NEEDS A NAME - HOW ABOUT MIGHTY MOUSE!!