Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes  (Read 2962 times)

Russ

Bleeding Brakes
« on: March 08, 2006, 08:08:31 AM »
ok i have bled plenty of brakes over the years.generally i just have someone pump them and i open the valve and let that shit squirt away,makes a mess all the time.
well now that i have a decent looking pan and body to follow how do most people bleed the brakes a rubber tube on the end and into a  bottle?
this would make the most sense to me.i have scene bleeder kits are they better for me not making a mess?
thanks for any help
russ

Offline James Buchan

Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 08:18:28 AM »
I picked a bleeder kit up from Princess Auto for under 10 bucks last year - No mess what so ever.

Other wise take a pop bottle and run a tub into it and attach it to the bleeder valve to catch your mess

Offline egspot

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/egspot
Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:32:53 PM »

So the bleeder kit is the hose and a jar?

To bleed them by my self, do I fill up the resevoir and loosen up the nipple with the hose on it going above amd then pump the brakes until no air on the line? As I bleed each line starting with the longest first?

Matt

Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 09:43:33 PM »
I use a pop bottle with a clear hose that fits very snuggly over the bleeder valve, as well as a tight fit through the pop bottle cap. I also always keep a little bit of fluid in the bottom of the bottle where the tube is so the tube end is never exposed to open air. It's something my old man taught me when we were working on my first car, something about sucking air back into the bleeder hose. Could be B.S., but it's worked very well for me.

The clear hose works well for seeing the air bubbles in the line or solid fluid.

Matt

Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:14 PM »
So the bleeder kit is the hose and a jar?

To bleed them by my self, do I fill up the resevoir and loosen up the nipple with the hose on it going above amd then pump the brakes until no air on the line? As I bleed each line starting with the longest first?
unless you have a one-man bleeder kit, you need someone in the car to pump, pump, pump, pump, hold. you open the bleeder valve while your helper holds the pedal down and feels the pedal fall to the floor, you close the bleeder valve and your helper starts over with the pumping. I was taught if your helper lets go of the pedal while the bleeder valve is open you are reversing the process and sucking air into the lines through the open bleeder valve.

Offline Mike Scott

Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
You were taught right Matt.

Actually, what you are describing (hose submerged in fluid) is the concept of the \"one man\" bleeder. Basically, pump out the air, then if the hose is submerged only fluid can be drawn in. The opening and closing of the bleeder valve (two people), seems to me to be more effective, as fluid/air only travels one direction

Offline egspot

Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »
Well I got me a master cylinder and tried to find someone to intall it and bleed the brakes. I was willing to pay the going rate for 1 1/2 -to- 2 hrs but, could not find a mechanic that would do it. My car is a daily driver and being for sale, I had no choice.

I took a 1 1/2 hrs work of changing the master cylinder and bleeding the brakes and in a record 6 hrs got it done. I just do not have the mobility and flexibility  yet .  The trick of one man bleeding system worked even for me.

Thanks for the help
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 05:11:26 PM by egspot »

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 09:31:24 PM »
The one man, hose in a bottle trick works good, but, you need a stick or something to hold the pedal down after the last pump as sometimes air can get back in between the bleeder nipples threads. If you can avoid negative pressure before you close the nipple there's less chance of sucking some air back in.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline egspot

Bleeding Brakes
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:28:09 PM »

I did it by holding the bottle above with a loop into the bottle. all the air goes up and when the hose is full any negative pressure  suck brake fluid back into the hose ansd any air in the bottle goes into the outside of the bottle.