Author Topic: 61 Project Strip Car  (Read 33626 times)

Offline Chris

• Car.
61 Project Street Strip Car
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2005, 06:21:41 PM »

Offline kirin

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2005, 08:02:02 PM »
Let it be learned.. You get what you pay for....
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2005, 09:19:18 PM »
Let it be learned.. You get what you pay for....
wtf is that supposed to mean?

* edit * I suppose you mean the crappy tire thing  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2005, 09:19:49 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline HeliMike

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2005, 10:56:48 PM »
Lookin' good  :rockon:
Those shock-mount brackets look killer.
67 Sunroof Beetle

Offline dannyboy

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2005, 09:24:44 AM »
Those shock-mount brackets look killer.

:wub: thanks :lol:  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2005, 10:29:03 AM »
Nice work Chris, Keep going on it so we can hit the track this summer.

Offline kirin

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2005, 11:01:48 AM »
I was talking about the crappy tire thing.
It sucks but let it be a learned lesson.
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2005, 12:46:29 PM »
Like the shock mount set up . Nice to have a n enclosed garage.Looking good  :)  

Offline Shane

• FTG Racing
    • Pointblank Installations
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2006, 12:42:32 PM »
UPDATES!!!!! We want more
FTG Canada
Brown Sugar
2014  8.97 @ 157mph

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2006, 01:27:40 PM »
getting there !!!!
chris quite awhile ago i posted some info on the CE 3 way shocks,the info was that on the box the settings for the rear where correct but the settings for the frt shocks where backwards.can't remember where i posted it .

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2006, 01:43:11 PM »
More to follow in the next 10 days, have some stuff heading out for powdercoating then I will back to putting it together!

Offline slammedbus

• Check us out on Facebook
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2006, 06:36:09 PM »
Can't you just work on this thing at work like Jamie does???
Wreck Amended Restorations

Honest work for honest rates. Done by people that are just as excited to see your dream hit the road as you are.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2006, 06:37:47 PM »
sorry, its hard to when I am standing on my hooks on a 25 ft telephone pole.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2006, 11:33:19 PM »
So today I dropped my engine tin, brake parts and other small parts to Russ for powdercoating! Midnight blue is the colour of choice and based on previous things coated by Russ I am excited to see the results, I must however stop changing my mind on how this car will be put together otherwise it will never get done.

My latest frustration is that the doors have been modified by the previous owner to fit one piece windows, this I am unhappy about as one piece windows just dont do it for me. So I am on the hunt for a nice set of doors complete with all the tracks for the vent windows.

I was going to look at going turbo but James bought all the HotVW's mags with the article on turbocharging 1914's so I am lost. Not.

Offline Klaatu

• http://www.airspeedparts.com
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2006, 12:55:11 AM »
Hey Dude, The car will be awsome....just keep pushing forward. I know set backs like the doors are frustrating but you have to enjoy the building process....sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. when I was building my green car(the Hulk) I had a mint set of doors and the blaster wrecked them and I not only had to find other doors but got screwed on the money I put out for the blasting. What I am trying to say is the green cars doors are full of bondo............................Just kiding Shane    :P  I had a fun time looking for doors but you just have to forget about it and move on. Make sure  you don't let Boy Wunder discourage u from going turbo or big stroker or both.

GO GET HIM.........HUMPS             Sorry I could't resist.     TJ   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 12:57:07 AM by Klaatu »
I can't reach the bottom but I sure bang the sh*t out of the sides....

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 04:51:26 AM »
:lol:  

Offline red snapper

• http://ghiaguy682002@yahoo.ca
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2006, 09:27:15 AM »
Hey Dude, The car will be awsome....just keep pushing forward. I know set backs like the doors are frustrating but you have to enjoy the building process....sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. when I was building my green car(the Hulk) I had a mint set of doors and the blaster wrecked them and I not only had to find other doors but got screwed on the money I put out for the blasting. What I am trying to say is the green cars doors are full of bondo............................Just kiding Shane    :P  I had a fun time looking for doors but you just have to forget about it and move on. Make sure  you don't let Boy Wunder discourage u from going turbo or big stroker or both.

GO GET HIM.........HUMPS             Sorry I could't resist.     TJ   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
It wasnt the doors full of bondo it was the front apron. :P  

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2006, 04:52:00 PM »
good show chris.

keep plugging away at 'er. it's like jim said, peaks and valleys man. i'm experiencing a huge gap in progress on my 56 (due to school and lack of funds), so for the time being i will live vicariously through you and the success of your build.  ;)

keep up the good work and get that light on in the garage so we can view the garagecam.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2006, 09:34:14 PM »
Nice colour!

Midnight blue, as supplied by Russ the local top notch powdercoater!

Thanks Russ, I appreciate the great work!

So tonight, I installed the front rotors, the custom drag bar and a few other odds and ends, next thing is to buy a new clutch and then install the motor, any suggestions for a clutch?  

Offline James Buchan

« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2006, 06:02:28 AM »
STage 2 and Daiken disc is what I ran last year - seemed fine and wasn't hard on the budget.

Russ

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2006, 07:23:54 AM »
looks good Chris,
keep us updated  

Offline Lanny

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2006, 07:12:29 AM »

A nice reminder why I never did another VW body/paint job after that 65..

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2006, 06:35:05 PM »
Well some more work done today, check out my website for details and pics!

Clicky! Follow the link on the main page to the 61 Street Strip Project.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2006, 07:15:07 PM by 1976BUS »

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2006, 07:11:12 PM »
Way to go chris looking good same blue going on body to ? What are you hoping to run this year and down the road a bigger motor in your plans ? Hopefully i'll be down to see it run .Keep at it lookig good  :)  

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2006, 09:24:36 PM »
Im thinking of going with an original 61 blue, I have looked them up and quite like one, I just forget what one it was, it is lighter though. I just like the look of this blue on the brakes and engine tin.

Spent some more time on it today, fixed my rocker stud problem, thanks to Darren K for the supplies and assistance. I fit my new header and test fit everything else with the tranny raise in, lots of room left.

More pics in my galleries!

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2006, 11:07:05 AM »
So yesterday I got the shelves welded into the engine bay and re did the piece I welded into the parcel tray to cover the tranny nose, I needed more room for the brake line.

I went from this

To this

I changed it for one, because the welds were bad, I was just to half assing it, and it had no finish, it just looked like a cover up. I will have to modify the rear seat a little more than expected but thats ok. I plan to give the engine bay a coat of primer and some paint today seeing as the shelves are in as well as install the fuel line from front to rear.

Its coming along nicely, and I hope to fire it up soon, need to buy som AN fittings for the fuel lines, fuel filter and pressure guage and I have to replumb my oil cooler lines. Maybe even bleed the brakes. Stay tuned!  

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2006, 04:17:08 PM »
Nice work for a Noob! great job Chris, I hope its a roller by the time I get back.

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2006, 12:00:20 AM »
Well thanks Geoff, it will be a roller by the weekend, just need to bleed the brakes!

As MArty was asking, the colour I am thinking of going with is L390 Gulf Blue. I believe this is a good representation of the colour, someone correct me if I am wrong.

I finally got a proper header to work with the tranny lift, its the A1 header and magnaflow muffler that Jimmy was running on the rusto-cal prior to the rebuild! Nice setup, low enough to clear the rear apron properly with some minor mods, and the muffler tucks very nicely under the rear fender.

I tacked in some tin to cover the orginal cutouts for the peashooters and then I cut out the center to accomodate the header, I think it looks good. Next step is fuel lines in the engine bay. I have installed a new hard fuel line from the front to rear, and will be installing a pressure guage at the rear along with some AN lines.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 12:02:22 AM by 1976BUS »

Offline Bullyboy

• http://
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2006, 07:04:07 AM »
Gulf blue  :huh: Thats the color I picked for my 61'
Do a search for the color on the samba there's lots of pictures in different light. I spent the $20 to have a rattle can mixed so I could see the color in person. I was torn between sea blue and gulf blue but after seeing the colors we still liked the gulf.

Offline OUTKAST

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2006, 12:40:34 PM »
Looks Good slow and steady looks like your are getting alot of little details buttoned of also By looking at current rides will pay of for you big time down the road .Should be a blast .and love the color  :)