Author Topic: Update #11  (Read 8408 times)

Offline Geoff

• http://airspeedparts.com
Update #11
« on: November 26, 2004, 12:24:59 PM »
This update is focused on the engine lid, The one part that really sets the Hebmuller apart from others. My Heb-Rod is not made to be a clone of a Hebmuller but  more of a customized tribute to one. What I mean by this is as you can see I used vert doors and such to give it a different look. This being said I did want the engine lid to look very Hebmuller-ish.

I wanted to leave the lid till near the end of my metal work as I have never done any of this before (welding or metal work) this has been a true learning experiance.

At first I thought I would build a buck from metal,foam,bondo and the such and make a fiberglass lid. (I may still make a fiberglass copy from mine to sell if anyone wants to build a heb) Once I started making the form and found it to be way too much work and messy SO.....

What the hell, why not try and make one out of metal?!?!

The main problem with making a Heb hood from metal is that I wanted mine to be close in size to the orig.
The Rosenthal Roadster on Oldbug.com is very nice but he made his hood much longer than the orig. This makes it much easier to make a hood as the contour is close to the beetle rear shape. But for mine it makes this much more difficult as it starts roughly in the center of the wheel well.  Ok, so onto some pic's.

The first nite I spent 6 hours cutting a hood into pcs and test fitting things, I came up with what I thought looked good

This is after 3 or 4 hours of work, It is starting to take shape and look something like a Heb deck lid.

I made a template to fill in the open area to get a look at what the finished product would look like. That was all I had done the first nite.  

I used two front hoods 68-77 and a 66 deck lid. It was now the second nite  and I wasn't leaving until I had something that looked like a Heb lid (Damn I ended up working till 2;45am)
I started by cuting everything off that I had done the nite before. Turned out when I looked at it the next morning I could see that the indent area was too long and the lic plate would cover some of it. I took another look at the orig Heb pics and started a new shape.

Here is the new shape, also note I cut a center section from a hood to fill in the area.

Here is the section I cut out.

It's starting to look like something!

Here is where I left off 9 hrs later, I very happy with how it looks and once the center light section is made it's onto body working the lid!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005, 11:12:34 AM by Gkafer »