Author Topic: Formula Vee Project  (Read 7894 times)

Offline vanvee

Formula Vee Project
« on: April 19, 2008, 11:15:27 AM »
Hello, I started about two years ago collecting parts and info to build a Formula Vee Race car.
I found a chassis and body at RDC welding in port moody and started from there.
 I do admit this has become a consuming hobby but I just enjoy building and collecting stuff.
I have road raced off and on for about fifteen years, I rented a formula vee for a weekend and got hooked. I guess the idea of this thread is to hook more people.

For those who do not know what formula vee racing is about, I will give you a quick overview.
The mechanical components are from a 40hp pre 65 type 1. Mandated by the rules are steel wheels, kingpin beam, drum brakes,  1200 engine with 28pci carb and type 1 trans with specific ratios. These parts are put together in a open wheel one seater race car designed for
road course racing.

I have built this car as a budget project. The Idea was to be on the track for under four thousand dollars. Once I started buying extra toys the budget has grown.

I will try to attach a couple of pics of the progress, from the buying to near finished. I bought a couple of extras such as a lift for at the track or home.  I just bought a stuska dyno for which I am going to make a vw aircooled specific engine stand for breaking in and tuning my motors.

If anyone has any questions or wants to get involved please pm me.  RDC welding has the jigs and molds to make more cars like mine.  The rdc cars are older design but reasonable cost and fun to drive.

thanks
Lawrence
aka vanvee

Offline silas

• Some cool videos...Check them out!!
Re: Formula Vee Project
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 02:31:11 PM »
very cool lawrence. i love it. really diggin the stuska dyno too.

keep us updated on progress and let us all know when it's ready to run.

Offline blarneyman

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 03:51:10 PM »
Are you building this with any intent on making it street legal? Would be awesome to see that going down the highway.  :o
www.mbvv.org
My \"new\" 1970 Ghia

Offline vanvee

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 05:05:44 PM »
Sorry it is for the race track only, I may build a bigger engine for hill climb events or autocross

Thanks Lawrence

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
I have always wanted to race FV,and have turned down a couple of opportunities to buy basket cases, but I think I'll be retired and grey before I realize my inner Walter Mitty.
I will watch your progress with interest.
Jason Hamilton

Offline vanvee

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 05:16:05 PM »
AL Ores is the formula vee guru around here, He is still racing and I believe he is over 70.

Lawrence

Offline Chris

• Car.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 10:46:47 PM »
Damnit I want one.

Offline Hansk

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:45 PM »
Very cool, had no idea someone was building them locally.
Big fat black fastback

Offline vanvee

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
The cars were built by RDC in 1988 so they are not old enough for vintage but are still racing and doing well. Four cars were built and two won Formula Vee championships at Westwood.

I am heavier than most vee drivers so I had to modify my chassis and add a new dash bar for the rule changes since the cars were built. My Car is  RDC T-825-3 SS
I added the SS to stand for SUMO SIZE.

I wanted to make the car safe and fun to race, we have at least 10 local cars.

Thanks for the interest. I will try and get some 2 for 1 passes for the road races to share if guys are interested.

Thanks
Vanvee