Author Topic: I need some help with paint and body work  (Read 2279 times)

Offline main66

• AirSpeed Forum Member
I need some help with paint and body work
« on: April 16, 2013, 04:54:57 PM »
Hey everyone, im restoring a 66 type 1 and ive almost completed all the mechanical, and now im on to the body work and paint. Ive never done any before so i dont really want to start now. Its not in bad shape, few dents here and there and some rust to cut out. Does anyone know of anyone that does side work, or of a good shop or one that specifies in vw? Thanks.

Cheers, Rob

Offline Jerome

Re: I need some help with paint and body work
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 08:31:57 PM »
Josh has done some very nice work for having a regular day job and doing work like this instead of sleeping....  ;D
HERE -  http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=12556.0
I'd recommend following his great example. You'll at least enjoy the read and hopefully learn a bit along the way.
And as always thesamba.com is a great resource in combination with their "forum search" feature.

BTW, you should post pics as you go and let us know how it progresses.
Cheers,
Jerome
Sucks to your assmar.

Offline 66DB

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 10:31:08 PM »
You could also try giving Stu a shout (I believe his username here is Stu817). He helped me out bigtime when I was painting my buggy, not sure what his work load is like at the moment but definitely worth a try.

Offline main66

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 04:27:15 PM »
Right on guys thanks for the help, i will look into both. And i will be posting some pics soon.

Offline josh

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 09:22:11 PM »
Josh has done some very nice work for having a regular day job and doing work like this instead of sleeping....  ;D
HERE -  http://www.airspeedparts.com/forums/index.php?topic=12556.0
I'd recommend following his great example. You'll at least enjoy the read and hopefully learn a bit along the way.
And as always thesamba.com is a great resource in combination with their "forum search" feature.

BTW, you should post pics as you go and let us know how it progresses.
Cheers,
Jerome

Thx bro! It's been......er fun (at times)

I had never tackled any metalwork or body/paint before the black buggy I did.....it was all through trial and error and shit piles of reading! There is a wealth of great info on the good ol Internet these days, I don't know how anybody learned this stuff before....guess you had to know a guy who knows a guy...

Glad my thread is enjoyed! Pretty cool to stumble upon it being referenced!! Good luck!!!
55 ragtop T1
56 kombi T2