Author Topic: Body Shop Recommendation  (Read 2729 times)

Offline jvirginillo

Body Shop Recommendation
« on: July 29, 2004, 10:22:16 AM »
:( Last week our 1979 Beetle Convertible with 58K original miles was written off. My wife managed to appeal to ICBC and got not only a decent settlement but also got the car back.

The problem is this thing took a direct hit in the front. The strut towers are leaning inward and both fenders were torn of the car. I am thinking the fron framehead is damaged so I think we are looking at some serious work if we want to reapir it.

Anyone know of a shop capable of this sort of work?

Offline Bruce

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004, 12:41:55 PM »
Does the car have any rust at all?

Offline jvirginillo

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 02:15:57 PM »
The car is totally without rust. It was originally purchased in Palm Springs I believe. (need to pull the sales record which we have) We purchased from a couple in Kitsilano who wanted to buy a new Campervan when VW introduced the new model. This was in 1992. We never let that car see a hint of moisture except what it might have picked up being in the garage (always attached garage).

The only thing which was in poor shape was some of the rubber and the paint on the front likely from neglect and sitting in the hot California sun.

The spare tire still had all of the rubber 'nubs' on it.

Offline Bruce

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2004, 03:05:23 AM »
That's the right answer.  Most of the cars that have lived full lives here are rotten, and with severe front end damage are simply not worth fixing regardless of your emotional attachment.  But in this case, it sounds like it might be a viable candidate for repair.

The only shop I know that's local is in Bellingham.  Short's Euro Custom, Ryan Short only works on aircooled VWs, and only does bodywork.  I've seen what he does, and his metal work is really good.  I'm probably going down there on Monday and will ask him.  
Finding a donor car for the sheet metal would be a lot easier in WA state since their cars don't have near the rust ours do.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 03:15:57 AM by Bruce »

Offline volksbug

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 11:16:12 AM »
If it's any help i have front sheet metal and also parting a 74 super beetle.    Marcel

Offline kirin

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 11:21:27 AM »
Dumore's collision repaired a friends buddys vintage bmw which had gotten rearended. They did a awesome job and it sounds like it would be up there league. Also John I know of a body person that does stuff on the side and has a really awesome reputation...
So many answers
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline jim martin

• If something is priced to good to be true ,do yourself a favour. DONT be a IDIOT and BUY IT
    • http://www.dialedinperformance.com
Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 08:41:10 PM »
as my car is now gone for paint, TATE WESTERMAN may be free ,he has a garage for side work.let me know if you what too talk with him
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 08:42:46 PM by jim martin »

the 'WOK" June 2006 Hot VW's feature car  9.830 sec at 143.44 mph.
Sponsored by : LUCAS OIL PRODUCTS   www.lucasoil.com
KROC head porting services
Dialedinp

Offline jvirginillo

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2004, 12:17:43 PM »
Thanks everyone. As soon as I get the car back (damn it's sitting in the rain... Thank god I put the roof up) later this week I will start pulling off the fenders and get a better look at what we are up against. I think the framehead is bent and I don't know whether these are salvageable since this is probably a lot better than anything you could buy today. The strut towers look to be caved inward so I am expecting steering damage but it needed some attention there anyway.

Depending on what needs doing we are looking to restore it slowly. A couple of thousand a year is bearable.

Thanks for the replies and I will try and keep everyone updated.

Kirin good to hear from you. So this is where you hang out now.... any other VintagVW memebrs here?

Offline dannyboy

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2004, 07:44:30 PM »
TATE WESTERMAN may be free
nope, hes got my dads morris 8 project to finish up on lol

Offline Scratchy

• http://scratchy.kicks-ass.net
Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2004, 09:21:27 PM »
Why would you want to restore a Super  :wacko:

(Sorry, but it had to be said)  :lol:  

-= Remember, even at a Mensa convention someone is the dumbest person in the room! =-

Offline James Buchan

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 09:35:09 PM »
Tate, Tate, he's our man!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2004, 10:57:14 PM by James Buchan »

Offline steveo_32

• Gonna'own em all one day!
  • Waz up
Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 01:21:21 AM »
Look at the book value on a 79 vert and you will know why!!
1958 Samba 23 Window
1963 Ghia
1965 type 3 wago
1971 KG14 convert
Looking for a barn find oval!! something un-screwed with(or split)

Offline jvirginillo

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 04:51:03 PM »
Well considering it has 58K original miles. The spare tire has never even seen lug nuts. The tool kit is also virgin. The roof is perfect. There is not even a hint of rust anywhere. As I removed the front bumpers and fenders I did not have to 'crack' a single nut or bolt. If it were a typical West Coast Super I would not consider restoring it however I think you would have trouble finding one in as nice shape that had not been restored.

We certainly are not trying to do anything but make it road worthy again. We plan do accomplish this over the next 5 years.

The car was neve intended to be a show vehicle but it was my wife's \"Dream Car\" and our intention is to have it live on. We still plan to take this thing out when we are old and grey.

Offline kirin

Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 11:25:23 AM »
John..
I hang out on here and on www.kaferkraft.ca I will be out with My bug on sunday at the great canadian. Its the turkis one with the grey and white interior and the rubbing 135 75 r15 tires :P  
If more power is better. Then too much is just enough.
Why do it once when you can do it thrice?

Offline jason_hamilton

• Admin
  • 1969 Karmann Ghia 2161cc
Body Shop Recommendation
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2004, 12:54:46 PM »
I had good work done by Steveston Collision when my Karmann Ghia was the meat in a rear-ender sandwich. I'd recommend them. In fact, I just did...
Jason Hamilton