Author Topic: Rear brake cables  (Read 2746 times)

Offline aircooleddave1965

• Aircooled addicted
Rear brake cables
« on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:14 PM »
So...I am sure this has been asked before but, I looked and couldn’t find anything on it. I acquired a Concept 1 straight axle conversion transmission, Drum to drum. After bolting it up I am trying to get the parking brake hooked up. I have the cable extender pieces but when I put it together the cable seems to be way too short like about 4-5 inches I would guess. I have brand new bus Brake cables of the correct year. The rear drums are Beetle or type 3 not sure which (4 lug) I used the beetle ends to hold back the cables, but should I use bus ones? It would allow the cable housing to move into the backing plate a couple more inches. As the ends of the cable housings are different. Do the bus style bolt up correctly? That would get me closer but still likely short. Can anyone help me out here before I waist a whole bunch of time screwing around with it? Thanks.
'57 356 Speedster
'63 Scab
'73 High top Bay
'65 Kombi
‘70 Vert

Offline billybob57

Re: Rear brake cables
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 09:15:13 PM »
Hey Dave,
I have done my cables 2 times but on my 55 & 56 so don't think it would be the same as you.
best read some more samba..good luck.  ..https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=222339

Offline aircooleddave1965

• Aircooled addicted
Re: Rear brake cables
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:46:41 PM »
Thanks Bill, if I had found that thread when I was looking I would have been fine! It turns out I need later cables for my 63, which sucks as I just bought brand new cables!
'57 356 Speedster
'63 Scab
'73 High top Bay
'65 Kombi
‘70 Vert