Author Topic: The Street Buggy  (Read 15834 times)

Offline 66DB

Re: The Street Buggy - Runs and Drives!
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »
Gary I used the beder in the link below. It's a good bender does the job well, the only two drawbacks are the large radius and only being able to bend 90degrees. Worked out great for me (If any one needs stuff bent let me know we can work something out)
http://www.tjdieselperformance.com/servlet/the-150/tube-bender-tubing-bender/Detail
Got the body painted after a loooong day yesterday and it turned out pretty good can't wait to see it out in the sun! Picking up the body Saturday I'm going to try and have it on the road for the show we'll see how things go...

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:06:37 PM by 66DB »

Offline buggy1

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2010, 06:28:05 AM »
Wow that buggy is really coming together, hope to see it soon!
Andy
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline 66DB

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2010, 07:37:54 PM »
thanks Andy!
Picked up the body today and the paint looks great, got a few weird fish eye like things on the front fenders to polish out (they're not fish eye's but kinda...?), might need to re-shoot clear we'll see...can't see it in the sun though. Other than that turned out great, it was my first time doing bodywork so my bodywork's not perfect and I rushed it a bit but I am still really happy with it. Gotta pull the engine and redo transmission mounts then it's time to re-assemble and wire it hopefully in time for the show

Thanks again Stu!

Offline 66DB

Re: The Street Buggy - Painted!
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2010, 10:53:24 PM »
So the buggy's been on the road for the last week or so I was so close to making it to the show but even if I would've had it done I had some cooling problems after...anyways for now it's all worked out engine's still running a bit hot (210) but I still have a few things to do to improve cooling.

Anyways so today the plan was to go on a mini cruise with Stu to White rock, as we pulled out on to the street my buggy started to bog down and stalled. Fired it back up, went 40feet and same thing again so we pulled up at to the gas station. Figured it was a fuel problem so I pulled off the fuel filter and it was clear, just as Stu was about to head out and grab me another one I realized there's barely any fuel coming out of the tank. Checked to see if I have fuel..check, add another 10bucks still nothing. Got under and blew into the line and finally fuel flow! There's a small rust patch inside the tank so it looks like that's what clogged the line. So what was supposed to be a cruise to White Rock ended up being a trip to the Tim Hortons around the corner  lol_hitting

Still had a great time!
Pics:

Happy Birthday Wynona! (I think that's how you spell it  :-[ )

Offline buggy1

Re: The Street Buggy - On the Road!
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
Sweet! cant wait to see it up close.
'65 buggy
'58 baja in progress
Sunset Buggy Club

Offline 66DB

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 07:16:25 PM »
I`m just glad to have it on the road! It`s not quite ready for a close up, there`s still lots of details to take care plus it never really ends  :D . Let me know if there`s a buggy cruise or something coming up and I`ll try and make it otherwise you might see me around or at the show next year!
More pics:

Offline stu817

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 12:49:59 AM »
Looks good like the engine cover

Offline 66DB

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
Thanks!
Been super busy with school I can't even think straight  lol_hitting
Took a day to pull the gas tank out and get rid of that clog, turns out that the valve on the bottom only had a 1/8" opening so the smallest spec of dirt clogged it. Replaced it with 1/4" spout and put one of those cone like screen on the inside to make sure it doesn't clog again...100miles and no problem so far!

The engine cover does make it look a little cleaner but I still want to wrap it in vinyl like you suggested and close up some gaps and I got a back seat in since it always seems that I have two people with me and I'd rather drive the buggy than the corolla.... Also switched the tail lights around like you suggested and looks much better, not so cross eyed (I'll get a pic sometime...), got some floor mats and wired up the stereo to the speakers in the headrest, they work!

Found out that my throttle position switch is blown and apparently that sucks up tons of power will be getting a new one soon and I thought it was already fast  :evil1:
Other than that I won't be able to do much t'ill summer school is super intense, sucks...

Offline Jeremy

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2010, 09:00:20 AM »
Cool buggy. That thing must haul ass.
'59 Beetle
'59 Single Cab

Offline 66DB

Re: The Street Buggy
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
The buggy definitely rips! I could probably beat most cars out of a light but I don't need to grab attention plus I gotta watch the trans now with an extra 50hp thrown at it...I'm sure it will wheelie if I drop the clutch I just don't have the guts to do it, too worried I'm gonna break something. Plus my trans is already whining in reverse....hopefully someday I can put in a trans I can abuse :evil1:

Finally got the TPS that wasn't working, Toyota wanted $90 for it  :o Luckily I found a guy parting out a corolla and got it for $15. Made a huge difference the top end is still the same (4000rpm+) but now the whole bottom end is there probably gained 30hp?? (just guessing I really have no idea)
Here's the culprit:

Tail lights switched, I still need to do something to clean up the back end, different location for reverse lights and reserve bottle, put license plate where N is to help airflow, some sort of cover over the rad and maybe paint the shrouds orange to tie in with the rest of the buggy...anyway sumertime

I was hoping this pic would show the new floormats but it was too dark, anyways here's everything all lit up

That's about it... insurance runs out in a couple weeks, plus it's getting colder anyways so there won't be much until next season.