Author Topic: Powder Coating  (Read 2063 times)

Offline super90kyote

Powder Coating
« on: January 27, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
Question?
How well do powder coated suspension parts hold up? A friend told me just paint the parts, he has a bunch of powder coated front suspension parts that the powder coating is flaking off. He says anywhere there is a rock chip you can peel the powder coating off with your finger nail.
Is this normal? I have always been under the impression that powder coating is very durable.
Any imput would be helpful.
Thanks

Offline 72vwtype2

• Phil
  • Still searching....1972 Single or Double Cab
Re: Powder Coating
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 08:21:38 AM »
There is lots of info on this topic on the Samba. From my research of front suspensions many suggest powder coating the beam, but painting the rods. One issue/concern with powder coating is chipping. Unlike painted surfaces, it cannot be "repainted" once chipped. Is your friends car on the road and being driven? Or is he putting his beam together and it has startred to flake? If the latter the prep work or the powder coating may not have done properly.
1958 deluxe Beetle (project in progress)

1972 Kombi
1964 Vespa 150

Offline super90kyote

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 11:14:16 AM »
It's a 911 driver.
I understand his parts were powder coated a while ago. Maybe I will go with painting, like you say they can always be repainted. It's not a show car just a street car anyways .
Thanks

Offline StubbornMule

• www.stubbornmule.ca Wicked Coffee
    • Fresh Roasted Coffee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 07:36:52 PM »
Having been involved in powdercoating for 15+ years if it peels off the paint wasn't cured properly.  if it comes off in sheets there was something on the metal like a film of some sort...I always recommend sandblasting as it creates a rough surface for wicked adhesion as well as removing any films on the metal.   What really helps too is if the part is preheated which will help in leaching out any grease/impurities out of the metal.  Especially with thicker parts the temp really has to be throughout the metal.

Checkout Westcoast Metal Finishers for sandblasting and powdercoating
#6-32851 London Ave.
Mission, BC
604-820-4516