Author Topic: Air Care fail..... hydrocarbons  (Read 1705 times)

Offline autobus

• AirSpeed Forum Member
Air Care fail..... hydrocarbons
« on: September 03, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »
Well  hope someone will help with some ideas on how i can get this down,but for now i will tell you a little about the car its a 63 can standard with a 1200.

I took the car with fresh gas and went to the test.

It failed the idle test passing the driving part of the test .

I have a brand new 31pic  on the car .

In the am i plan on checking the valves and turning the mixture screw in 1/4 turn ?

Offline BUSDADDY

• Like potato chips, you can't have just one
Re: Air Care fail..... hydrocarbons
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29:37 PM »
Leaning the mixture could easily make it worse, Hc's are caused by a sick worn out motor or a lean miss at idle.
Post up your reg number or VIN so we can have a look at the test results and see what's going on.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline autobus

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
Reg number is 01118571

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:22:20 PM »
According to that you failed on Co not Hc and not by alot so yes lean the screw until it drops ~50 RPM from best idle but doesn't start to miss, the rest doesn't look too terrible, make sure it's fully warmed up when you adjust as in no more than 60 seconds after a drive of a few miles or more, just sitting in the driveway won't do.
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline autobus

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 09:29:51 PM »
Thanks for the help , I still have that go westy curtain for you!

Offline BUSDADDY

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 10:12:48 PM »
Cool, I'm out that way sort of on Thurs, want me to stop by and tweak it too?
RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Offline autobus

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:51:51 PM »
Pm sent

Offline autobus

• AirSpeed Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:38:31 PM »
Well thought I would update this so others ca have the benefit of my experience!

I returned to the test a second time after turning the idle mixture screw in more figuring  that it would lean it out , but I was wrong and this actually made it richer and it failed again !.

Busdaddy was kind enough to come over and tweak the mixture by winding the idle mixture screw out and then adjusting the larger air bypass screw, to get the highest running speed and then by adjusting the timing got it to run very lean and I passed the airfare test!!!!

SO A BIG THANK YOU TO BUSDADDY!!!.

Driving the car over to Richmond to the test was an experience not as much power as I was use to and it backfired upon de cell but it passed the test , something I had been working on now for quite a while .

To day I went out to again work on the car after getting a list of homework , things I should look at 
On the car which is a great help , sometimes a push in the right direction is what I need.

Re-adjustment of a shift stop plate made driving the car much better this coupled with replacing the shift rod bushing has made the best improvement to shifting .

I did advance the timing and added a half turn in on the idle mixture screw ,man what a difference the car is back to being fun to drive again .

Now I will do some valve work and look at the brakes and I am very happy  thanks  auto bus !

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 08:56:48 PM by autobus »