Author Topic: Gavin's lee split bug question  (Read 2092 times)

Offline louis

Gavin's lee split bug question
« on: December 10, 2009, 01:12:12 AM »
I feel in love last summer with Gavin's bug... its one of the sickest bug i have ever seen and really close to what i was dreaming about doing!
i got myself a set of 356 brake drum last year and i was going to put them on a 54 that doing right now. i have a question to Gavin about his setup if its not a secret..
what kind of beam did you use and how narrow?
what kind of spindle and what ever stuff you used?
how Low did you go in the front and back?
what kind of master cylinder did you use?
any trick to know about rebuilding the brake set?
did you use porsche brake line or vw?

anyway i million more questions... love to chat with you some day...
cant wait to finish my car, still at the beginning, rounding up parts.. so much to do!!
Kroq just finished my Okrasa.. pretty stocked

i have a full other okrasa if anyone interested... real thing not WW... i need the money to do the body work!
cheers

Louis

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
Re: Gavin's lee split bug question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 08:03:14 PM »
Hi Louis, thx for the good words...
-Beam = Jamar aluminum beam, welded in adjusters, stock width. I left it stock width as I had my front rims cut apart and moved the offset of the wheel out to keep the m tucked under.
-Spindles, stock link pin VW
-Front is adjusted about 2" lowered with 135 tires(which also brings the nose down).
-Back is about 1"lowered stock suspension with 26" tall firestone recaps.
-Changed to a dual master cylinder so I could isolate front and back better and added Line Loc.
-The Porsche brakes - expensive but bitchin. For the price it is going to cost you could do a bitchen 4 wheel disc set up. They are pretty much a bolt on, you can use all VW bearings. Although I changed the front bearings over to roller type. The wheel cylinders are expensive so check those first but they are available rebuilt and you can get rebuild kits. Are your drums OK check how much is left on the linings? If not they are about $150-200 each for a decent used one. They do stop nice, with a bit of extra power I had to get on the brakes a couple times already...

Hope that helped, good luck with the car.

Offline louis

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »
that definitly help out lots !

thanks!

i hope to see it again next year... next time ill bend a bit to check the brake and pan... i was too lazy last year!

ill hit you with more questions as the build goes if its allright...

L

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 07:55:15 AM »
If you need any parts for them I would contact Bill Brown, he is a great resource. Here is a link to one of his ads - http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=585934

Closer there is Emory(sp?) Motorsports in Oregon.

Cheers, Gavin

Offline louis

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 09:38:30 PM »
yeah my drum seem like there is a lot of meat left on the pad and on the drum, they look super clean so i wouldnt be surprise if the cylinder are still good.
for the master you just bought a later bug or you went with porsche?

by the way your colors combo/seat is awesome!!

Offline nivag

• Gavin Lee
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 10:55:35 AM »
Use a beetle master cylinder.